Thursday, May 15, 2008

It just struck me as I was responding to a post on Make Mine Pink about a quote of Ralph Waldo Emerson that we have slipped so far in our abilities to be self-reliant.

We want everything done for us...not my fault...not my responsibility...not in my backyard. Not to mention his line "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds"...change is the one thing that can make aging difficult. I have noticed that people do make fun of me because I keep up with modern culture, but it does work well in my college teaching. I think it keeps me young...at least mentally...hard to stop the other issues...but, when we refuse to change, it does throw up the negativity. I can see it in some of the people who have been interviwed through this primary election process. Some of the responses border on frightening.

You know, this is a good thing...blogging...it is good to vent...

2 comments:

Sharon said...

Blogging is a good way to vent~ I refuse to grow old ~ I love the new technology~ who knew that 5 years ago I would even open my email....lolol~ I am with you on the other parts of aging~ but that is the process, at least my brain is young. Thank you for reminding me of the literary quote~ and how important it is not to get stuck in a rut. I have no excuses~ and I want none. Thanks my friend~ S

sewmuch said...

I'm not sure where I read this, but it seems to fit: "If you never change your mind, what's the point in having one?"