Sunday, June 15, 2008


HAPPY FATHER'S DAY

Above is a picture of my Dad and Mom(L) and my aunt in 1945…3 years before he knew he was going to be a Dad!

Father’s Day…my Dad died almost 10 years ago, but my Mom says as long as I am alive so is my Dad. I was an only child, and, even though I was supposed to be a Michael, my Dad persevered! He even asked the doctor if he was certain, and the doctor told my Dad that I did not have a stem winder!!! Unknowingly, my Dad raised me in the feminist tradition…be strong…look out for yourself…don’t let any man take advantage of you! This was in the 1950s! My mother though was the traditional mother.

The first Father’s Day was held in 1908 in West Virginia. A service was held to memorialize 361 miners killed, but the same time frame saw a Mother’s Day service 2 months earlier, also in West Virginia, so it may have influenced by that.

In Washington, a woman wanted to honor her father who raised 6 children alone after hearing about the movement to create an official Mother’s Day.

In 1966, President Lyndon Johnson made Father's Day a holiday to be celebrated on the third Sunday of June. The holiday was not officially recognized until 1972, during the presidency of Richard Nixon.

Americans are expected to spend $11 billion on gifts for Father's Day in 2008. This is about $7 billion less than the amount spent on Moms for Mother's Day.

3 comments:

Craft Diva said...

here's to our dads, susan! i miss mine so...

Cottage Flair said...

I had no idea where the two holidays stemmed from. Thanks for the info.
Jennifer

Susie said...

Susan, A very nice tribute to your Dad and history behind the day.
Susie
The Polka Dot Rose