Monday, September 1, 2008

Short and sweet...


















Since it is Labor Day, I thought I would give you a holiday from learning before the fall semester starts...chuckle...so today we take a little breather with some ideas of what to do with that great vintage jewelry that you love and may not wear...and those figurines that Aunt Mary and Grandma Sally passed down. Why not combine the two for an artistic interpretation? Above are pictures of early German bisque figurines and 1950's beaded necklaces in matching colors. They make a decorating whisper...those things that catch your attention not by shouting but by sweetly making you look.

Here is a hand I picked up somewhere with some glass and metal Art Nouveau beads draped over. How neat would that be in a corner of a bathroom vanity...


A Japanese figurine becomes a show place for some 1940s crystal beads.













A 1940s figural planter holds a 1950s vintage bead and pearl necklace.



















I think so many of us labor over things that should just be enjoyed...where to put this...what to do with that...as Nike's ad people coined...just do it! You have a necklace you love...a pin you adore...a bracelet that has fond memories...pull them out of the jewelry case and enjoy them! Let them see the light of day! And "marry" them with some little treasure you inherited or found at a sale...and Happy Un-Labor Day!

19 comments:

Craft Diva said...

you are still teaching...about displays! you just can't stop yourself can you? lol.

lisa said...

Susan ~

Thank you for the great tips on how to use your vintage jewelry.

Lisa
www.palepinkandroses.com

Shabby in Pink Boutique said...

These are some of my favorite things.. Love that vintage jewels.. Thanks for the lesson
Stephanie

Cottage Flair said...

I love the idea of displaying your favorite jewelry pieces in and on some fun props. Great post.
Jennifer

gail said...

Hi susan,,, I love the vintage bling. Its so hard to find around here and when you do, its very expensive. What a great idea to have it out so you can always see it. I hope your having a great holiday...())gail

cathy said...

What a great idea Susan. I have lots of those figurines laying around. I'll try that.

Carol at Clutter Bug Studio said...

Great ideas! I think I'll pull out some of those things I've put away and enjoy them.

Inka Thomas said...

Susan,
As usual your blog is very informative. Thanks for sharing, Inka

Carrie Gonzalez said...

Hi Susan,

I love using jewelry to decorate. Time to get Grandma's things out and show them off! Oh, btw, my DH is thrilled and loving his new job! He is happiest of all to be back to school! Have a great week!
Carrie

Andie-The Brown Bee said...

Susan, thanks for those great ideas! xoxo

Flowerchild Clay Queen Angel Heart Designs said...

Just do it! I so love that too...and you inspired me to bring out the bling & display it more..I love the hand display! Great ideas!
Cindy:)

Patricia said...

You make it look so easy! Lovely,

Pat

Susie said...

Great show and tell Susan. You know, I do this and I just thought it was because I have no room for anything and always want to see my pretties. Happy Labor Day!
Susie of The Polka Dot Rose

Silena said...

Hi Susan, Thanks for the great advise on decorating with old loved objects and beautiful vintage jewelry. You have such great treasures...candy for the eye. But....I do expect more lessons to come, you know!!

Susan - My Vintage Charm said...

Great ideas! Thanks for sharing your tips and photos. My favorite is the German blue bisque figurine, jewelry and vintage dish! That's a beautiful picture.

Miniature Patisserie Chef said...

Susan,

You have a gift for decorating! It doesn't come very naturally to me lol and I am always amazed with people who can do it. The display of the figurine and jewelry is such a wonderful idea.

Cheers,
Pei Li

Shell said...

Hey Susan,
Fun show and tell. I always like to look at the pictures on the side of your blog as well. That is the cutest little cupboard with the pink shutter.
Have a great week.
Hugs,
Shell

SoCal Helene said...

Hi Susan, love your ideas, the figurines looks too cute with a little bit of old bling..……
;o) Helene

Debbie said...

Hi Susan....it's hard to stop teaching, isn't it? :) Love the hand with the glass and metal beads...so pretty!

Pink hugs,
Debbie