Sunday, October 5, 2008

Go figure!

When I first started collecting, figural planters and wall pockets caught my eye. From the 1940s through the 1970s, these little pottery gems were favorite gifts for Moms and Grandmoms. A little plant tucked in one of these cuties made (and still makes) a wonderful gift.

Here is a little scotty planter with the original price tag on the bottom. McCrory's was a 5 & 10 cent store...comparable now to the dollar store and probably soon to be the 10 dollar store. But what treasures existed in those 5 & 10 cent stores!




I used to pick these planters up for 25 or 50 cents in the early 70s. Many of the well known potteries were into producing these figural planters. The little girl above is from Royal Copley...they are well known for their figurals. McCoy, Shawnee, Royal Haeger, Brush, and Morton were also into the market. The dog planter below is a piece of McCoy. The elf and wheelbarrow planter is a Shawnee.

!

Some of the planters just make you smile...check the pigs...




The Japanese stepped into the market in the post WWII days...this is an interesting Made in Japan planter...


Of course, whimsy is apparent in many of the pieces...you know someone who has had a rough day...how about this planter with some chocolate tucked into her! Or, perhaps a diva would appreciate her on her vanity!




For the retro fans, many are done in the black and pastels that work so well with 50s modern...like the poodle and the parakeets (that would be a good book title!)









Interestingly, the parakeet planter has its mold mark and Made in California stamped right on the front.




Some of these planters are designed to work as "wall pockets"--vases that are mounted on the wall. They usually came in pairs...this is another show and tell...and was a passion of mine...think I have 200-300 of them...but another day...

This violin can sit or hang...




Sweet baby planters from the baby boomer birth years are wonderful. I am collecting for a vintage baby theme for my shop for next spring. Here is a sweet lamb planter. It is in the wonderful celadon green...you could even collect planters based on color.


Since people did use these, sometimes they will be soiled, but, if the lime or mineral deposits do not come out with a good cleaning, you can use a toilet bowl cleaner. Let it set for several hours, rinse well, and it should be fairly presentable.

They have many uses...to hold pens, make-up brushes, cell phone...or they can just sit there and make you smile!

21 comments:

Ousizch said...

Susan, The Dutch Rose. Your blog is very nice with good content about Go Figure
Stayed to built a blog that was useful for visitor and always thought to publish content that was great. Heeee, just support you…………………

Hope u have a great day!

From: Ousizch
http://www.ecpassistant.blogspot.com

Andrea-Brown Bee Studio said...

Susan, I have a vintage 'lady with hat' planter....you know the ones..it's just the pretty lady's head wearing a large portrait hat. I remember getting one similar when I had my tonsils removed as a child. It was prettily painted, but the one I have now is glazed in cream. There's no mark on the bottom, and there's a lot of crazing, but she's beautiful to me! xoxo AndieBee

gail said...

Hi Susan,,, I remember these little planters. I also remember McCorys. Aauuggh! I like the poodle one the best. I like the squirrel pictures! LOL Have a great week. (())gail

Silena said...

Hi Susan, Now I've been around a long time and I've seen the little lamb and the little poodle.....but so many of your items this week I have never seen. They must certainly be rare!!! I love the little piggies....very unique! Lots of fun items!!! Thank you for showing them to us!!

Patricia said...

These are so cute. I just love this weekly history lesson. Can't wait for the hanging wall planters, my Mom used to have one we called Bedelia-she lived in the bathroom-just a green woman's head with a jaunty hat. I have a little lamb, bear, pig and bunny from each of my children's births. I just love them.

Pat

Cottage Collections said...

Thanks for history! I love the all white little girl. It's great!! Caught my eye when you said tuck chocolate in it!

Lilli Blue said...

I also have the ladys with the hats by Relpo. I think they are some of my favorite things. Nice story.Lilli

Carolee Crafts said...

The planters are really unusual, like the violin one best but they are all lovely. Thank you for sharing

Miniature Patisserie Chef said...

Hi Susan,

The planters are lovely, and thanks for putting up a great post on the history on them. It's also educational to see how the planters have evolved and changed in style. Thanks for sharing.

Pei Li

lisa said...

Susan

I have always loved planters but did not know much about them. Now I can't say that! Thanks for all the great info each week.

Lisa
www.palepinkandroses.com

Sweet Necessi-Teas said...

Love them all! Brought back some memories...
(( )) Karen

Marie said...

Hi Susan,

I love the little pigs. I also remember McCrory's. Thanks.

Carrie Gonzalez said...

Hi Susan,
Great post. My Grandmother collected many of these planters. She also had these beautiful women with fancy hats and feathers. They are great for so many things!
Carrie

Debbie said...

Hi Susan,

I had fun reading today's Show and Tell on your blog. We have many of the same pieces it seems. My favorite is the 3 little piggies planter with their little bottoms showing.....mine is yellow with blue pots though.

Pink hugs,
Debbie

Shabby Shan said...

Hi Susan,
I love all your planters! I collect planters too.

Thanks for sharing!
Shannon

Shell said...

Susan I can hardly stand it! That little pig planter is totally adorable!
Thanks for another great post and lesson. Thanks also for your comments on my blog. Your too funny.
Hugs,
Shell

Inka Thomas said...

Susan,
I remember spending hours in McCory's shopping. Love the planters. Dogs and birds are my favorite...go figure! lol
Inka

Francie of The Scented Cottage said...

Oh my, I love McCrorys. There was one right next door to my Aunties Beauty Salon.
Love the planters too. I have a few I can not let go of.

(())

Cottage Flair said...

Susan,
Another lovely collection, especially the pigs!!! I have never seen that many different style planters. Fun history lesson.
Jennifer

Debbie said...

Hi Susan ~
I especially like the lamb planter. I guess it's no secret that I love antiques, too. I have a pink kewpie planter that you can see on the home page of my website. I also like the history that you add to your posts ~ it's always soooo interesting!
Debbie ~ Rosehill Studio

cathy said...

I still have my little lamb planter from my birth! I use it to collect odds & ends on my dresser.

These are such charming figurines. I think the green lamb & the poodle are my favorite.