Sunday, October 12, 2008

A little treasure...


The thrill of an auction is that you never know what is going to be there...it is a weekly surprise party. This is the country auction I go to every Friday...

One of this week's finds is worthy of its own show and tell...

This is a Victorian child's dresser with original glass knobs, mirror, and decorative accents. In the 17th and 18th centuries, miniature porcelain sets were imported from China and England, but they were not playthings; they were designed for shadow boxes and show pieces. By the 19th century, Victorian families who were well-to-do spoiled their children. Welcome to the new consumer toy world. I do not get into the toys, but I do love the furniture. From tables and chairs to cupboards and cradles, it was produced to scale for children. This dresser is 21" wide, and 18" tall. The mirror is 19" x 12". Here are some close-ups of the glass knobs and the trim pieces.











When you look at a piece like this dresser, you realize how much things have changed. At the same time, you wonder if,in 2100, someone will post a picture of a Barbie house on a blog and rave about it!

But, today it can live on in a "big" girl's room as a storage piece for jewelry or crafts. Granted, these pieces are as expensive as a regular dresser, but, if you consider what you pay for a pressed wood jewelry cabinet, this is a great deal.


Another little gem is this plate...here is the front of the plate...


Cute...but anyone who is an antiquer knows that the first thing we do is flip the plate over to see its "provenance"...here is the "backside"!



Are you not flush with laughter!!!!! As I said, you never know what you will find at auction!

23 comments:

Francie of The Scented Cottage said...

LOL LOL LOL..... ohh too too cute !

Susan you find the very BEST things. I need to come visit with you she says batting her eyes.....

Debbie said...

Susan....I love the dresser.....what nice things your found...the little plate is adorable!

Pink hugs,
Debbie

Carrie Gonzalez said...

Susan, that plate is so funny! You always find such great things!
Carrie

Susan - My Vintage Charm said...

The dresser is beautiful! I love the glass knobs and carvings. A Very nice find!

Miniature Patisserie Chef said...

Susan,

That is such a cute plate!!!!

Pei Li

gail said...

Hi Susan,,, When I was a kid my dad had an auction. Even being little I loved tuesday nite auctions! I miss that. I love,love, love that dresser. It would be great to have something like that for my jewelry or beads. The plate is just adorable. I love it too. I hope you have a wonder week!!! PS: I noticed on Francies blog you posted a sign about Monkeys,,, LOL, so did I. Great minds think alike. (())gail

Susie said...

Hi Susan! What a cute plate! A surprises for sure. The dresser is magnificent. A real gem. Great show and tell.
Susie of The Polka Dot Rose

Marie said...

Hi Susan,
Love the dresser. That plate sure was an eye opener at 5 am.

Marie

Cathy said...

Susan,

That plate is absolutely a scream. Thank you for sharing.

xo Cath

Carol at Clutter Bug Studio said...

LOL - too funny! Loved it.

lisa said...

Susan

Love the childs dresser and the plate, well that made me laugh out loud. What a find.

Lisa
www.palepinkandroses.com

Cottage Flair said...

Gorgeous dresser. Love the details. Vintage furniture is the best. LOL with that plate. I didn't expect that!
Jennifer

Carolee Crafts said...

The plate is soo funny. Good looking dresser and congratulations on the find.

Shell said...

Susan I'm still laughing at that plate! Too funny and too cute! Also love the part about the Barbie house.
Hugs,
Shell

Dawn-Hydrangea Home said...

Love the plate Susan - it's hysterical! Have a great week.

Patricia said...

That child's dresser is gorgeous. Those glass knobs are incredible. That's such a nice piece.
The dish gave me a good laugh, someone had a great sense of humor.

Pat

Inka Thomas said...

Oh Susan,
That is too funny!!!
The dresser is wonderful.
Inka

kath@retromantic antiques said...

thanks for sharing. Both were amazing pieces. I LOVE auctions. k

Silena said...

Susan, This is the cutest post...not only informative, but it gave me the giggles!!!! So cute!!!

Craft Diva said...

omg!!!! nevermind!!! the window finally opened for me. um... LOVE that plate...sooooo adorable!

Shabby Shan said...

Susan,
That little dresser is adorable! That would be perfect for jewelry. Great treasures you found!

Shannon

Andrea-Brown Bee Studio said...

Susan, that plate is a hoot! You always find such fantastic treasures. =0) xoxo Andie

Lilli Blue said...

Susan your blog is a treat every week. I always turn things over. That is so funny. Now that is a stamp I won't forget. LOL Lilli