Sunday, November 2, 2008

Divided...

With the Presidential election in the wings, I was thinking about how divided we have become, and I am hoping that this election will bring a new spirit to the country.
Now, once again it is a true leap of faith to this post since my mind works in unique ways (to say the least)...I was setting up some new displays in the shop, and I started pulling a variety of grill/divided plates into action. Get it...divided plates...oh, well...it has been a long election!

Interestingly, the plates I have in stock are more fall/winter looking, and it does seem as winter nears, folks do think of meals. But, as a child, I hated when my food touched each other...mashed potatoes with peas in them...no way...so I am attracted to the "grill" plate. I used to think these were called this because the grills separated the food, but I read that restaurants were known as grills, and these plates were designed for use there, not necessarily in the home.

Anyway, I realize I have quite a variety of turn of the century European grill plates. You see them done in depression glass, but I have 4 varieties in porcelain. I thought this would be a good way to introduce you to how to track the manufacturer. The best guide is Kovel's
...the name Kovel is well known in the antique world since their guides are virtually "bibles" for those of us in the business. They have general price guides as well as specialty books.
Many people wonder how prices are set on antiques, and there are hundreds, if not thousands of price guides. The reality though is that something is worth what someone will pay for it. Interestingly, ebay not only drove prices up on some items, it crashed the market on others. Once people realized they could get something with a click, it made for an even playing field.

When I was looking for some plates to put on the wall in my display, I thought...hmmm...I have quite a variety of these late 1800s-early 1900s grill plates.
Even a shopkeeper ends up collecting without being aware!!!


The first in my stash is by Wagner and Apel...pre 1945 Germany...


Here is the mark...you can look up the mark by design or by the initials.

This plate is simply labeled Persian Ware...another German piece...
This Delft-designed plate is by Ridways/Bedford, Staffordshire, England. The company was eventually absorbed by Royal Doulton.


The plate below is from Holland...labeled in some places as Gaudy Dutch...it is a folk art style...but it dates to 1887.


If you have a picky eater...yes, I have outgrown it...you might want to check out the grill or divided plate! And, hopefully, even if the mashed potatoes, corn, and meat loaf are divided, the United States will not be in the months to come!

19 comments:

lisa said...

I still don't like my food to touch on the plate. I never outgrew it! I really need to get myself a grill plate. I loved those trays in the cafeteria at school they were perfect!

Lisa
www.palepinkandroses.com

gail said...

Hi Susan, I dont think I have ever seen plates like these before, but I have to say I like the idea. I am 50, but still hate when my food touches each other. LOL Good idea. Thanks for the fun post. Have a great week...gail

Inka Thomas said...

Hey Susan,
I will have to look for Tom some of those divided plates. He doesn't like his food to touch either! lol
Another great post girl. Thanks,
Inka

Miniature Patisserie Chef said...

Hi Susan,

Your post brings back memories of me dining as a kid at home. Mom has those plates for us, where she put meat, vegetables and rice separately. I wonder if it's a kids thing - they don't like all their food messed up on the plate.
Now we don't eat with those plates anymore, but it was fun to see them on your blog again!!

Pei Li

SoCal Helene said...

Hi Susan,
Another great post, love the d├ęcor on the Dutch plates. Would love to come and visit your shop, you have so many neat treasures. Have a wonderful week!
Helene
www.sistersgiftcompany.com

Tedi said...

Hi Susan,

I love your blogs... I always learn so much!

Pink Hugs,
Tedi

Lilli Blue said...

Thanks for the tip on the book. that wil be on my Christmas list. I'm going to google in right now! Happy Monday. Lilli

Marie said...

Wow Susan,
You never cease to amaze me. What beautiful plates. I had no idea these were made for adults.

Patricia said...

I've never seen those before. Really neat. I had heard of Kovels before but never felt the need to have one, I've always been a buy what I like person. The value doesn't mean that much to me. Although, now that I may be selling some, I guess it's a good resource.

Pat

Debbie said...

Hi Susan.....I too am drawn to grill plates and I had some beautiful "red willow" ones in my shop once....of course, they sold before I could think twice about keeping them. :( Thanks for another interesting blog post!

Hugs,
Debbie

Francie of The Scented Cottage said...

ohhh I have to laugh...I probably have more collections than is allowed by law. I have a few of the depression glass plates and can't let them go...:)

Patty/PinkHugsSweetShoppe said...

My two DD's will love them. God forbid anything touches anything else on the plate. Great blog. Thanks for the book tip too!
Sweet Pink Hugs, Patty

Cathy said...

Hi Susan,

Love the pottery! Thank you for your sweet comments on my blog.

xo Cathy

Beloved Creations said...

You always give us such good info. Your shop looks wonderful and I too love those divided plates.

Shell said...

Hi Susan,
What a great post and lesson.Those plates are gorgeous.
Have a great week.
Hugs,
Shell

Shabby Shan said...

Hi Susan,
I am 38 years old and I still don't want my food mixed up. I need to get me some of those grill plates! I have never seen any like the ones on your blog. Thanks for sharing!

Shannon

Susie said...

Hi Susan!I love your Show and Tell subjects. Nice plates. And me...well I just took my nicely divided dinner and blended it all together to mix up the flavors! The pictures you have of Erica's roses are beautiful!
Susie ~ The Polka Dot Rose

Carrie Gonzalez said...

Hi Susan,
It's funny, I don't mind if my food touches. Growing up Italian we were taught to take a bite of each food together and "mix" flavors. Funny, I still find myself doing this. Lovely plates.
Carrie

cathy said...

I love your display! So warm and homey. I think I like that bottom plate the best. Very colorful.
I'm like Lisa, I don't like my food to touch either. LOL