Sunday, November 23, 2008

Thank You!


In a way it is sad that we only set one day aside to celebrate giving thanks. Interestingly, our ancestors did celebrate several times thoughout the harvest seasons(the first Thanksgiving was in 1621 in case your history fails you!)...anyway, when George Washington declared it a holiday in 1789, only New England rallied in support.

President Abraham Lincoln was urged by poet Sarah Hale (best known for "Mary Had a Little Lamb") to declare a national holiday. She had lobbied the previous 4 Presidents as well. Lincoln decided it would unite the nation and in 1863 declared the last Thursday in November a day of thanksgiving.

In an attempt to rally the nation to go shopping in a post Depression era (and you thought that was W's idea) in 1939, 1940, and 1941, Franklin D. Roosevelt, seeking to lengthen the Christmas shopping season, proclaimed Thanksgiving the third Thursday in November. But, Congress balked and passed a joint resolution in 1941 decreeing that Thanksgiving should fall on the fourth Thursday of November, where it remains.

And now, it has morphed into the kick-off for Christmas shopping so FDR would be proud, wouldn't he? I have a hard time thinking Christmas until Thanksgiving...I just started to decorate my shop...here is a tree with vintage ornaments and tussy-mussies from Meadow Street (www.meadowstreet.com).



Then, I found if I put an ornament in a candle holder with the hanging side down, it reminded me of mini gazing balls...you could do a whole series of these! Different heights...colors...or keep them all the same...



I ordered some soap from a local soap maker...mint...and set that up with some bubble type marbles...I am trying to promote Made In America...I am fortunate to have antiques since I do not have to rely on pure retail.

Set up a mannequin with roses from Meadow Street...


So, it is not the purist's Christmas...but it is mine...











So, bottom line...it is eclectic, edgey, and erratic in my little shop...

And to carry that theme out, we are going to my Mom's on Thanksgiving...she lives over 3 hours away...and we are going out for Chinese! I am thankful for egg rolls, dumplings, veggies, lo mein, and, above all, being able to share the day with my Mom and my husband.

But I am thankful for every hour I have and for all of the humanity and creatures who touch my days...for all of you who take the time to read what I write and to comment...thank you...I am grateful for the creative spirit that lives in the artisans of the planet...thank you all, for sure!

14 comments:

Patricia said...

Beautiful post. Doesn't matter how we celebrate or what we are thankful for, just that we remember to be thankful for what gives us joy and sustenance!

Pat

gail said...

Hi Susan,, Your shop pictures look great. I hope you have a great holiday season. Have a wonderful safe trip for Thanksgiving. Chinese sounds wonderful. Hugs, gail

Miniature Patisserie Chef said...

Hi Susan,

Your shop is looking all pretty with the christmas goods!

Chinese food for Thanksgiving dinner! That sounds good!

Have a happy Thanksgiving!

Pei Li
www.miniaturepatisserie.etsy.com

Marie said...

Hi Susan,
Your decorations are just beautiful. Erica's creations are so lovely.
Marie

Silena said...

Hi Susan, I am grateful for the lovely blogs that you post each week. May you have a Blessed and Happy Thanksgiving Day....hmmm...chinese sounds good to me, too. But in my family its a big turkey!

lisa said...

Susan ~

I look forward to your posts. Always informative and humorous.

Thank you.

Lisa
www.palepinkandroses.com

Cottage Flair said...

Susan,
Great post. Your shop photos and displays are beautiful. Enjoyed the history lesson as well. Happy Thanksgiving.
jennifer

Shell said...

What a wonderful post Susan. Your shop looks lovely and as always I learn something from you each week. I'm proud to be your "internet" student. :)
Safe travels to visit your mom. Happy Thanksgiving!
Hugs,
Shell

gail said...

LOL Susan,,, thats probably why they are too smart to live here. :) I wish I had cute little squirrels, rabbits,deers, etc. I have coyotes, javalinas, scorpions, and rattlesnakes.

cathy said...

Wow, just imagine, one woman didn't give up & because of her, we have Thanksgiving. One person can change the world.
I love all your pretties! Everything is lovely!

Francie of The Scented Cottage said...

Eclectic, edgey, erratic and eminently exceptional !
I love all you have done.

We too are traveling and eating out...but it will be traditional turkey for us....and I do remember to count my blessings every day because I am so aware of them.

Happy Thanksgiving !

EileenandKaren@forgetmenotdreams said...

I couldn't agree more Susan...we should express our gratitude often! I'd love to wonder through your shop! It looks so fun!
Hugs,
Eileen
Forget Me Not Dreams

Debbie said...

Hi Susan....your shop is beautiful and I love the mini gazing ball idea....I may have to "steal" it for some of the lonely candlesticks in my shop with your permission of course! Have a wonderful Thankgiving. :)

Hugs,
Debbie

Caroline said...

Yeah Susan - what a great blog and thanks for the photograph of my soaps, I wish you much success with them and with the holiday season! Saw your ad in the Holiday Gift Guide - it looks great! Great and informative blog too.
Caroline