Sunday, January 25, 2009

Raising a little Hull...

That is HULL...just in case you thought I was going to go off...but, alas, I am only potted with pottery! Although my heart is with McCoy, there are other US potteries. Of course, the infamous Roseville Pottery is well known along with Van Briggle, Rookwood, and Weller for their high end pieces from the early 20th century.

But, one company that always puzzles me is Hull Pottery of Crooksville, Ohio.


Sometimes when these goose planters come up at auction...and they fly in chartreuse green also...it can be a toss-up as to which one of the regulars will do a mercy bid so we can continue.
It can command high prices like the big names previously listed, but I have to say they produced a Heinz 57 variety that never ceases to amaze me. Here is a 6” matte glazed vase which can be well over $100 in value.
At the same time, you will see stacks of their brown drip dinnerware for under $1.00.










The Hull story is another family venture…why don’t families work together to build companies anymore…you can discuss that among yourselves some night when the power is out and you are not staring at a screen! But I digress…I know…as usual…anyway, Addis E. Hull created a stoneware manufacturing company, Globe Stoneware, in 1901. His brother began to produce a dinnerware line in 1903, and in 1907 they bought Acme Pottery, making stew and baking pans. I read that men were paid 25 cents per 100 to attach bale handles to the pots.

It was not until Addis Hull died and his son, Addis, Jr., took over that the pottery lines that they expanded to art pottery. The created both matte and shiny glazes and colors, producing some of their finest lines.

The company finally ceased production in 1983. But to give you an idea of their production lines, it went from the Old Spice mugs between the late 30s-late 50s
to Madonna planters to art pottery. The pieces I have in my shop now are from the 1940-50s era.



















Comparing it to McCoy, you can see a real difference….which brings me to a final thought…once you are familiar with the companies you can recognize their work unlike companies today where one company produces, and then someone ships it to China to reproduce rather than create. Now, let me sound like an old piece of pottery…ah, for the good old days!

16 comments:

lisa said...

Susan

I have always loved Hull pottery especially the pastel, matte pieces. My mom has a beautiful vase that belonged to my grandmother which I beg for every time I talk to her. As of this date she has not caved in to my pleading. One of these day...

Lisa
www.palepinkandroses.com

Roxie said...

Very unique pieces Susan. Thanks for all the pics on this post.
Roxie

Susie said...

Hi Susan! Great show and tell on Hull.
Susie
The Polka Dot Rose

Nancy said...

Hi Susan,
I love your BLOG, always interesting information. I am starting to use it as a reference book!
Huggs, Nancy
www.Coeurdalenegifts.com

Carrie Gonzalez said...

Hi Susan,

Interesting post, my Grandma had a few pieces of Hull, but she was mostly a McCoy woman. Thanks for sharing and stirring up fond memories of a home filled with pottery in every nook and cranny.
Have a lovely week!
Carrie

gail said...

Hi Susan,,, well as usual I am the odd one. LOL I liked the goose planters. LOL I think they are just as cute as squirrels. I hope your staying warm and enjoying your weekend. hugs,gail

Debbie said...

Hi Susan,

Interesting blog post....my husband could just about write a book on Hull pottery. When we married he had collected the complete line of of Hull Magnolia in the matt glaze.....worth several thousand dollars at the time. He just recently gave it to his daughter!!! I love early 20th century American art pottery....my favorites are early McCoy and Haeger and Camark.

Pink hugs,
Debbie
www.shabbycozycottage.com
www.patchoulirosehome.com

The Empty Envelope said...

Wonderful info!

kath@retromantic antiques said...

Susan, as usual I love your educational posts. Can never have too much info on pottery. kath

Inka Thomas said...

Susan,
I love the geese!!! Hull is another one of my favorites. Thanks so much for sharing.
Inka

Shabby Shan said...

Hi Susan,
As always, your post was very informative. Thank you for sharing your knowdledge!

Shannon
www.shabbyshanscottage.com

Michelle (Shell) May said...

Susan I have seen that brown drip pottery many times around these parts. I have friends that have it too!
Your blog posts are always so fun and I love to learn.
Have a great week my favorite teacher!
bunny kisses,
shell

Beloved Creations said...

wow, that collection is really diverse and just wonderful. i love the madona and the heart best

Susan - My Vintage Charm said...

I'd have to agree, I'd love to see more companies grow right here in the good old U.S.A. This beautiful glazed floral vase happens for be one of my favorites. Once again thank you for sharing your knowledge. You always have something of interest!

Susan
www.myvintagecharm.com

Karen said...

Hi Susan,
I'm your newest fan!

Lilli Blue shared a link to your blog over on Vintage Village. I love that you share your knowledge. I'm going to be following your new posts and reading up on your old ones too, as time allows.

You have beautiful things!

Karen
http://charmingscollectibles.blogspot.com/

Deer Path Vintage said...

I love American pottery, and yes, Hull, is all over the place when it comes to design and price. But even the $1 drip glaze cups are wonderful!

I'm enjoying your blog very much. I could spend hours here. Thanks for sharing.

Mona at deerpathvintage.etsy.com