Sunday, January 18, 2009

When you go to auction

you see shelves and tables of all kinds of treasures and trash...and I do not use that word in a negative way, believe me, there is good trash!

Anyway, the day after Christmas, I saw the auction ad that included these words: "30+ pieces of McCoy." I was thrilled! Santa had cleaned out some houses while he was on his rounds and dropped them off at my favorite weekly auction!


I have shown some McCoy on the blog before...but check this out...this is in my shop!!!


This is mainly show...just a look at the variety of pottery made. I love the earlier colors...the soft greens are so pleasant. Those came out of the Derpression era...when money is tight, creativity flourishes...maybe there is hope for us!


Anyway, McCoy started as a primitive utilitarian company producing crocks and bowls like I discussed last week. The McCoy that is "art pottery" began its life as Brush McCoy around 1911. In 1918, McCoy sold their interest, and Brush survived until 1981.
In the meantime, J.W. McCoy assisted his son Nelson in establishing the Nelson McCoy Sanitary Stoneware. What is always wonderful about researching early American companies is the saga of family connections unlike the mega corporations of today.

Anyway, in 1933, in response to consumer demand, the company reorganized into the Nelson McCoy company. It survived until 1967 when it was sold to Mount Clemens Pottery. In 1974 Lancaster Colony purchased the business. Throughout the aquisitions, Nelson McCoy stayed involved until he retired in 1981. In 1985, Designer Accents took over, and finally in 1990 the company was gone...another victim of imports, and corporate greed probably factored in that as well.

Anyway, enjoy the tour...











16 comments:

Susan - My Vintage Charm said...

WOW! What a great collection. It's beautiful! Thanks for sharing your wealth on knowledge. I'm always shopping antique malls. Your information has been very helpful! Thanks!

Susan
www.myvintagecharm.com

Brenda @Just a Bed of Roses said...

there are definitly some pieces i have not seen, mccoy can be simple and beautiful and so pretty as a collection, thanks for sharing the history, ALWAYS love it!

lisa said...

Susan

Once again I loved the history lesson. When I saw the pink flower pots my mouth started watering. What a great night at the auction!

Lisa
www.palepinkandroses.com

EileenandKaren@forgetmenotdreams said...

What a great collection Susan! I really enjoyed reading the history too! Your always a wealth of knowledge.
Hugs,
Eileen
www.forgetmenotdreams.com

Patricia said...

Love it! What a great overview of the whole line. My favorite is the blue.

Pat

Patricia said...

Love it! What a great overview of the whole line. My favorite is the blue.

Pat

gail said...

Hi Susan,,, what a great find and how nice of Santa to leave it for you to find! You have a great collection.
Hope your have a great weekend.and staying warm.
Hugs, gail

Miniature Patisserie Chef said...

Hi Susan,

What great photos you have got! I love the colours of all the pieces. Just so pretty!

Pei Li

Tedi said...

Now Susan, that's a collection! Thanks for filling me in on McCoy.
Tedi
www.PetiteBookstore.com

Debbie said...

Hi Susan.....I loved browsing among your pottery this evening. We have a large collection of pottery too...some McCoy, Hull, Camark, Niloak, Shawnee...just to name a few. I've never seen the bowl in 5th picture up from the bottom though.....really pretty, sort of looks toile-y.

Pink hugs,
Debbie
www.shabbycozycottage.com
www.patchoulirosehome.com

Lilli Blue said...

Susan you know I died and went to heaven. How could I say which is my favorite? I love the pink and blue with the bees. Awe.........and all the green. There is a big green one with the light shinning on it. I think that is my favorite.
I know you will have many happy customers. thanks that was a real treat. Lilli

Nancy said...

My Goodness Susan how did you get all that wrapped to take back to the store. It is all really beautiful! Just Love those Auctions!!

Huggs, Nancy

Carrie Gonzalez said...

Susan,

What a great collection. I love the pinks, oh but the greens are so pretty too. Thanks for sharing. Have a great week!
Carrie

Michelle (Shell) May said...

Susan that is an incredible collection. I love the piece with the doggie on it. Too cute! Thanks for the lesson.
bunny hugs and kisses,
shell

SoCal Helene said...

Hi Susan,
OMG, what a wonderful collection! I so wish, we all could come and visit your store and see all your treasures in person!
Helene
SistersGiftCompany.com
ps. thanks for visiting the other day

Shabby Shan said...

Hi Susan! What a great collection of McCoy you have. I really love the pinks and greens. Thank you for sharing.

Shannon