Sunday, March 1, 2009

Can You "Hare" Me Now?


As mad as a March hare…well, believe me, with a March 1 snowstorm, I am right there!

But, even before that, I was setting up Easter is the shop…and thinking how wonderful the old rabbit containers are, and I decided to open March blogs with them.

Supposedly, hares get a little out on control in March with their mating antics…kind of Bunny Sex in the Country although it is hard to picture Peter Rabbit as Mr. Big, but as far back as 1529, Sir Thomas More's The supplycacyon of soulys originated this phrase:
"As mad not as a march hare, but as a madde dogge."
The phrase has been in continuous use in the language since the 16th century. It was well-enough established by 1546 for John Heywood to include it in his collection - A dialogue conteinyng the nomber in effect of all the prouerbes in the Englishe tongue.
But, I think most of us relate it to Lewis Carroll’s Alice in Wonderland…the conversation at the Tea Party between the March Hare and Alice is priceless…and I am sure many of us in our lifetimes have participated in those conversations…he would have made a good politician!

Anyway, the rabbits in the shop are old paper mache.
Even though new paper mache is out there, I still love the feel of the old pieces with their worn spots and the aura of age. This guy looks like the chocolate got the better of him!
In fact, in today’s economy, it is cheaper to buy the old originals than the new reproductions!
The Easter Bunny as an Easter symbol is mentioned in German writings in the 1600s. The first edible Easter Bunnies were made in Germany during the early 1800s and were made of pastry and sugar, but it appears the Pennsylvania Dutch introduced the bunny to our culture in the 1700s. Children would leave their hats and bonnets on the doorsteps so the bunnies would leave brightly colored eggs in the nests if they had been good.

The “egg carton” candy containers came from Germany in the early 1900s. This rabbit has glass eyes and is from one of the early manufacturers.
















Other bunny collectibles are fun also...like this book...





Here is a Lefton China...Japan...probably 1950s-60s vintage...sweet cherub with bunnies and a little birdie...

And, of course, modern Italian pottery always has a neat decorative look...here is a mold available for a touch of interest...



So...are you "hoppy" now???

20 comments:

The Empty Envelope said...

So darling! I love the look of vintage Easter the most out of all the holidays! Soft and pastel.

Tedi said...

Susan, As always - I love your blog. At my house it's squirrel mating season... which just isn't the same as bunny. I use to have bunnies out the ying yang, but I haven't seen a baby bunny now for three years. So sad and I don't know why?!? Tedi www.PetiteBookstore.com/blog

Patricia said...

I'm very hoppy now! Loved the blog and just love the old time bunnies. They make me smile and that's a good thing. The illustrations in that book are terrific, what a find.
Pat
Patricia Rose-A Potpourri of Fabric, Fragrance and Findings
www.patriciarose-apotpourri.com
www.patriciarose-apotpourriof.blogspot.com

gail said...

I am Hoppy now! lol I love Easter Bunnies. In fact my favorite food group is chocolate easter bunnies! Stay safe and warm with your storm thats coming!
Hugs gail

Brenda @Just a Bed of Roses said...

I get so "hoppy" lookin at your
vintage easter! They are delightful, nothing is better than vintage holiday items, priceless!I didn't see any at the antique show in town last week. I put out a vintage egg thats musical I probably didnt price it enough though.
Glad to see your romantic homes in your shop.

Carrie Gonzalez said...

Hi Susan,

I love all your rabbits. There is just something about Easter and all the colors and bunnies that brings back fond memories. Great post! Hope you storm isn't too bad, I'll be sending some sunshine your way. :)

Carrie

Miniature Patisserie Chef said...

Hi Susan,

You have a beautiful antique rabbit collections! They are all so cute!

I hope the storm goes away quickly for you.

Pei Li

Carolee Crafts said...

Loving the bunny collection, makes you think of Spring, thank you for sharing

Cottage Flair said...

Great vintage bunny containers. Hard to believe it's cheaper to buy old than repro. Thanks for the lesson on Easter.

Craft Diva said...

i LURVE the bunnies. well...all of them if i have to be honest. but i especially like the little guy at the bottom with his very long ears. i am very hoppy about him.

Nancy said...

Hi Susan,
Oh I am just an old Bunny Lover from way back. Thanks for bringing another fantastic piece of info to your blog. Very 'Hoppy' now.
Huggs, Nancy
www.coeurdalenegifts.com
www.coeurdalenegifts.com/blog

Rose Petals & Blooms said...

Oh boy Susan, I really can "Hare" you now!!! I adore your amazing collection of bunnies! I have a few, but not as extensive as yours... Don't you love Easter!!

Hippity Hoppity to you my friend, I've enjoyed my visit~

xoxo
Michelle

kath@retromantic antiques said...

Love the bunnies. Thanks for sharing and for your comments on my Blog. kath

Shabby Shan said...

Susan, I am so hoppy now! I just love Easter and bunnies. Your post gives me Spring Fever. Thanks for sharing!

Shannon

Dawn-Hydrangea Home said...

Love all of your bunnies Susan!

Michelle (Shell) May said...

Well you know this is my most favorite post yet!!! hee,hee,hee.
Thank you Easter Bunny, bawk, bawk!
bunny hugs,
shell

SoCal Helene said...

Susan, Stay safe and warm in the snowstorm, doesn't miss those a bit! I hare you too and love your blog, always so fun to read. I would love to visit your shop, one day I hope!
Helene
Sistersgiftcompany.com

Susie said...

Hi Susan! As we are all knee deep in snow, it is great to think of Spring and the antics of hares.
Now, off to find that chocolate bunny...
Susie of The Polka Dot Rose

Debbie said...

Love your chocolatey-faced vintage bunny!!! Do you think there are bunnies hiding in your snowdrifts right now? :)

Pink hugs,
Debbie
www.shabbycozycottage.com
www.patchoulirosehome.com

Janet Bernasconi said...

Hi Susan,

What adorable vintage bunnies!! And I love those eggs too. How sweet. You always have such great pictures to share. Hope the snow melts fast and Spring arrives.
Have a wonderful day,
xoxo
Janet
Janet's Creative Pillows