Sunday, April 5, 2009

My friends are my estate...

said poet Emily Dickinson, and, as one who is in the business of selling estate items...antique, vintage...every now and then a special moment comes along that has nothing to do with stuff...and everything to do with friends...
Being in a seasonal resort, we do not see our customers all the time...but, when the daffodils bloom, so do they. The skies turn blue, the sun begins to warm up the sands, and trees come into bloom, and "they" return to the shore...or "down the shore" as the Philadelphia dialect describes it.

The group below has been coming to my shop for 14 years...I am going into my 18th year...so you know they are special...twice a year, spring and fall, they come. Only one visit was missed in the sequence with graduations, weddings, events.

They have now dubbed themselves "The Travelettes." But that just caught my attention, and I grabbed my camera and decided to feature them this week.
They usually stop in to see what is new as well as purchase some little treasures for a secret friend game that they play. Called "Essence," it features drawing a name out of a bag, and then they shop for a small priced item that represents that person's "essence." They go through maneuvers in the shop so that I can get things into bags without the other person seeing it...fun...and how wonderful to have neat little treasures to build on the friendship ride.

So, to "The Travelettes" of Yardley, Pennsylvania, I appreciate your business...your support...and to all my customers who brighten my door as the season begins...

"Let us be grateful to people who make us happy, they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom."
~Marcel Proust

10 comments:

gail said...

Hi Susan,,, What a nice post. The Travelettes seem like an awesome group of women! Friends are everything!! I see yellow daffadils in this photo! They are very pretty. I hope you have a great week and can enjoy some really nice spring weather.
Hugs, gail

Marie said...

Hi Susan,

I loved reading that post. It reminded me of Philadelphia and of my friends there, and my friends here in NY. Loved the pictures, too.
Marie

Carolee Crafts said...

I love this post and they must love your treasures to come every year.

Karen said...

What a wonderful post! Your shop is lovely I'm hoping to be able to visit if I ever get "to the shore".

Patricia said...

Those are true friends! 14 years - sure says something about your shop and the way you run things. I am always grateful for friends, whether they be weathered old trees or brand new shoots.
Have a grand week,
Pat
Patricia Rose-A Potpourri of Fabric, Fragrance and Findings
www.patriciarose-apotpourri.com
www.patriciarose-apotpourriof.blogspot.com

Cottage Flair said...

What a fantastic ritual these ladies have. Lucky you to have such a dedicated following. You must look so forward to their visit every year. What fun!
Jennifer

Kimberly said...

What a fun thing to do twice a year. Yes, they must be very special to you. I like how they purchase the little gifts for each other. Great idea!

Brenda @Just a Bed of Roses said...

What a treat for you and your travelettes...how fun to watch them pick something out and hand the little treasure to you secretly. Wouldnt it be fun to be one of them? Neat story Susan...as always!

Anonymous said...

I had to tell you that one of the ddear travelettes was missing. Sue was tending to a sick daughter home from Ghana. She has an essesence that cannot be beat. Sr. Elfina

Lilli Blue said...

susan you have the sweetest soul. i loved that story. Lilli