Sunday, May 17, 2009

Everything old is


new again. We watched The Curious Case of Benjamin Button the other evening, and it truly presents a fascinating concept...born old and grow young.

When I opened my shop the following morning, it hit me...antiques are Benjamin Buttons...they are old, and they become young again as they are repurposed into a new life. Unlike Benjamin though, they get to be reborn over and over as the centuries pass.

This suncatcher is made from an old faucet and lamp crystals...
A piece of sheet music and some old seam binding are reborn as a tussie mussie...fun for potpourri or for tucking some florals or little treasures.





















An old shutter gets reborn as a cabinet...


















Vintage teacups can still serve tea and give pleasure with their beauty.


Can you imagine all the food that was processed in these early 1900s canning jars?

One of the lines from the movie is filled with Button's philosophy when he says, "Along the way you bump into people who make a dent on your life. Some people get struck by lightning. Some are born to sit by a river. Some have an ear for music. Some are artists. Some swim the English Channel. Some know buttons. Some know Shakespeare. Some are mothers. And some people can dance."

It applies to possessions also...things can make a dent on your life. What makes people walk into an antique shop? Memories, of course...and then the connection with those things that can make you dance. The next time you pick up a vintage glass or an antique plate, you are giving it a chance to grow young again! Repurposing is more than recycling...because everything old is new again!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

As usual, Susan, interesting, well written, and informative. The white whale is reeling from all of this wonderful info. Not quite like the printed newsletter, but just as much fun!!! Keep them coming.

Brenda @Just a Bed of Roses said...

Susan you have been so quiet this week I was starting to wonder if everything was okay.
Oh, I love your story here tied in with Benjamin Button, that movie was so quaint, we loved it too .
I was born to love treasures from the past...I am the happiest when I am purchasing them and repurposing them for the shop for others to enjoy. We have the best life don't we surrounded by things we love? Great blog!

Carrie Gonzalez said...

Hi Susan,

Well I just loved looking at all your repurposed treasures. That is of course my favorite thing to do! I have yet to see that film. It is on our list. Thanks for sharing some wonderful treasures. Have a great week!
Carrie

gail said...

Hi Susan,,, Its nice to visit you again. I missed last week. Just crazy busy I guess!. I love the shutter cabinet and the sun catcher. So Pretty! I really enjoyed this post.
I saw a you tube the other day and thought of you. It was two squirrels, one big and one young one trying to go over a short wall. The Momma was trying so hard to help the little one over. Some guy put a stack of things the little one could run up and get over the wall. It was so fun!
Have a beautiful week.. (()) gail

The Empty Envelope said...

Gorgeous photos. I loved Benjamin Button, especially for all the old things (like the giant clock) in it. Such a moving and wonderful movie.

Patricia said...

Love all the treasures. The zinc topped jars are so neat. Loved the post, will have to get to see that movie soon.
Pat
Patricia Rose-A Potpourri of Fabric, Fragrance and Findings
www.patriciarose-apotpourri.com
www.patriciarose-apotpourriof.blogspot.com

SoCal Helene said...

Hi Susan, long time no see! Hope everything is well with you.....I enjoy your blog, you always share so many neat things with us.
;0) Helene

Andrea-Brown Bee Studio said...

Hi Susan! I haven't visited you in quite a while, and I gotta tell ya'....all your pix make a dent in me! ;o) I love those zinc capped jars, and the suncatcher sends me over the moon! lol xoxo AndieBee

Cindy said...

I love your style. It touches my heart. And all your beautiful treasures.