Sunday, May 31, 2009

Hands on...

When I go "flea-ing" (flea market), I look for collections that are being sold off. As a shop owner, it is an easy buy. The stash below was such a buy.
And, of course, such a stash is going to put my imaginative mind in gear...and I was thinking of all the phrases that have hand in them, and how different each phrase is.

Like, hands down....or have to hand it to you...or a bird in the hand...or give me a hand...the hand you are dealt...
This hand collection consisted of mid century ashtrays...from the days when women would get together for bridge parties or teas. I have never smoked, but I can picture a woman in a flowing rayon dress with a cigarettes in her hand...These hands are all made in Japan...some are right hands, some are left hands, and there are those that are right and left...and there is another saying...the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing...
These oddities in the ceramics world are usually Japanese. Made in Japan was stamped on many items after WWII ended in 1952. there is the exclusive hand painted Nippon items (Nippon being the Japanese name for their country) from 1891-1921 and the mass produced items with the Japan tag available after that. After Pearl Harbor, many Americans destroyed Japanese ceramics...you can imagine the hysteria...but, fortunately, not all was trashed. Sometimes you will find a piece where the Japan label has been sanded off!

So, let me hand it to you...

If you do not smoke, you could use the little ones...that are only 2.5" to hold a ring...or the larger ones can hold business cards...then there are those that are vases...I have none in stock since these do sell the moment they hit the table, but here is picture of some McCoy hands from the price guide...
and here is one designed to hold a bloom as well as some treasures around the base...
There are also metal hands, but these are not ashtrays...this is designed to hold calling cards or treasures.
Before things get out of hand here, I shall hand it over to you to read and contemplate...take a look at your hands and remember,“People say friends must always hold hands, but true friends don't need to hold hands because they know the other hand will always be there.”

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once again you have touched something near and dear to the White Whale. You know that there are at least 200 hands, hand vases, hand note holders, shoes held in hands, etc in Peggy's collection. What was I thinking when I urged her to find something to collect. As always a great post.

Brenda @Just a Bed of Roses said...

I have got to hand it to you...lol...I have never seen the mccoy hand vases and i am clapping My hands over this hand blog...so funny & clever Susan!
You must be in a happy state of mind today! what a find.

The Empty Envelope said...

Very lovely! What a great find! I am fond of hands in artwork:).

Punk Rose Paper said...

let me give you ...A loud and thunderous applause..with both hands ~ What a wonderful post, and you've filled it with beautiful photos and interesting facts! I never knew the origin of the name Nippon - now I know! And I didn't know that after the Pearl Harbor attack Americans destroyed Japanese Ceramics ~ I love learning new things! Lovely, just lovely :)

Cindy said...

GIVE THE LADY A HAND! I do believe you could sale anybody, anything. I all most want to start smoking. Excellant blog.

Francie of The Scented Cottage said...

Well this is just a very handy post... (I have a small hand collection myself).
Thank you again for the information and an amusing post!

ann at greenoak said...

gee, my mom had one just like the silver one..
thanks for the pics....and info
nice job on the new heading too...
cheers...ann