Sunday, May 24, 2009

Memorial Day...summer's on...


Here at the Jersey shore, the Memorial Day holiday celebrates the opening of summer...and the enforcing of beach tags...no more roaming that sand for free...it does have with it the remembrance of those who served.
The very first memorial ceremony was held in Athens, Greece, in 431 BC when Pericles offered a funeral oration for the soldiers of the Peloponnesian War. The event was a large-scale public commemoration in which the entire city of Athens participated. "This type of wartime memorial pulls people together," he said. "Those who die in combat become the community dead - a group of people to be honored by all."


The Civil War spawned the birth of the commemorative event. Henry Welles, a drugstore owner in Waterloo, NY, got the shops in town close May 5 to honor the soldiers who were killed in the Civil War and were buried in the Waterloo cemetery. The citizens placed flowers, wreaths and crosses on the graves of the Northern soldiers in the cemetery.

At about the same time, Memorial Day, called Decoration Day at that time, was officially proclaimed on May 5,1868, by General John Logan, national commander of the Grand Army of the Republic, in his General Order No. 11, and was first observed on May 30, 1868, when flowers were placed on the graves of Union and Confederate soldiers at Arlington National Cemetery.


In 1882, the name was changed to Memorial Day and soldiers who had died in previous wars were honored as well. In the northern United States, it was designated a public holiday. In 1971, along with other holidays, President Richard Nixon declared Memorial Day a federal holiday on the last Monday in May.

My father fought in WWII. I never remember his talking about it much. In Washington, DC, the World War II Memorial which opened in 2004 honors the 16 million who served in the armed forces of the U.S., the more than 400,000 who died, and all who supported the war effort from home. Symbolic of the defining event of the 20th Century, the memorial is a monument to the spirit, sacrifice, and commitment of the American people. The Second World War is the only 20th Century event commemorated on the National Mall’s central axis.
If you want to list someone on the WWII registry, go to www.wwiimemorial.com and follow the directions to register. Once verified, a page will honor that person's service...this is my Dad's.
So, as you bask in the sun, check out the sales in the stores, remember those who served...and those who supported those who served also...and, if summer brings you "down the shore," stop in and say "Hi!" We are waiting for you!

11 comments:

Marie said...

Hi Susan,
Thanks so much for the information and tribute to th9ose who fought for our freedom.
Marie

gail said...

Wow,, summer is becoming at your shop! :) Everything looks so pretty. I love your kitty taking a ride in the wagon.
I have to tell you, I went this weekend to see the second "Night at the Museum" and there was a part with a squirrel in it. I laughed sooooo hard. I thought of you too. It was a funny and cute movie!
Have a beautiful week celebrating the beginning of summer and Happy Memorial Day! (()) gail

Cindy said...

Thank you for letting me stop by, I'm Cindy Geilmann from South Jordan Utah. I'm a friend of Brenda, Just a Bed of Roses. I honor you father as well, and the family that supported him.

I would love to see you shop. It looks amazing.

Cottage Flair said...

Our holiday in CT starts the beach tags as well. We're off to the beach to cook out later. Great photos!!! Nice post.
Jennifer

Debbie said...

Hi Susan...thanks for visiting my blog today, and for writing your Memorial Day tribute. Love the pic of your kitty in the wagon! :)

Hugs,
Debbie
www.shabbycozycottage.com

The Cottage Shopgirl said...

Right back at you Susan!! I hope you are enjoying the learning curve as much as I am!! I'd love to come visit your shop someday, it's charming!! Loved the Memorial post as well,
Sandi

Francie of The Scented Cottage said...

Susan your photos are always so beautiful and you always have such wonderful information....your blog is a treat!

sue said...

Hi Susan, I'm the one who drooled all over your shop on Saturday before Memorial Day, the one with no money!! LOL!! I will definately be back to visit, with a pocket full of money! Your shop is fabulous and I'm so glad I stopped in. Come visit me at my blog and see my collections! See you soon! Sue

Janet Bernasconi said...

Hi Susan!

Oh my gosh how I wish I lived nearby to visit your beautiful shop! I want everything! lol And I absolutely adore that kitty in the wagon. That would be my first purchase..lol
And I really enjoyed your tribute for Memorial Day. The pictures are great too.
Hope you have a wonderful week,
xxoo
Janet
Janet's Creative Pillows

Anonymous said...

The Memorial Day blog was just great!!! The new sign is beautiful and the location is much better. I do miss the word "Antiques" on the sign, but everyone knows what is in the shop. I hope that the coming season is a good as the first show of the season was!!

MrFilthyRotten said...

I just found you on the VintageVillage! Lovely shop! I'm also from Jersey, near Giants Stadium. I used to have a B&M, but currently I'm selling online. I very much enjoyed your wonderful Memorial Day post. Pleased to meet you! Smoochies! MFR