Sunday, June 21, 2009

Think of me...

Father’s Day…my Dad died over 10 years ago, but not a day goes by that I do not think of him. Even my Mother says that as long as I am alive, so is my Dad.
He made me a strong woman, and he did that before feminism was even in the vocabulary.

I do not have much in the way of manly things in my shop…but I did happen on a wonderful mustache cup this week at the flea market. It has “Think of me” on it…had to take two pictures to show you…

So, how about a little lesson on mustaches…which my father never had, but it is a "manly" thing…and I have to say I never dated anyone with one, and my husband never had one. Anyway, their history is interesting. Mustaches were all the rage in the Victorian era, and they were kept in form by applying melted wax to the curls.
When hot coffee or tea was brought up to the lips for drinking, the heat melted the wax into the cup. Coffee or tea candles anyone? For those whose mustaches were not full, the tea or coffee would stain the hair. Finally, Harvey Adams, a creative Englishman, came up with the idea of a mustache cup. The mustache guard kept the lip hair dry, and soon all the famous potteries were making these cups.
Some are mug form, and some are regular cup and saucers. They were also produced in silverplate, and there were even designs for the left-handed drinker, but according to my research, these are rare.

So, maybe that fortuitous find of a mustache cup really was a nice Father's Day sign for me...so, yes, Daddy, I do think of you...every day...

6 comments:

gail said...

Hi,, I hope you have had a beautiful weekend. Thanks for stopping by. I hope the shop has been busy, busy busy! How is the squirrel family. I guess they are going to be happier back there. I have a feeling they dont like over 100 degress weather. Thats probably why we dont have any,, they are smarter that that. LOL
Have a pretty week... (()) gail

Candy-Faith..... from Simply Pretty said...

Somehow came across your blog as Ive been blog hopping :) Thought Id say Hi :)
:)
candy

ann at greenoak said...

on mustaches..dh has one.....they tickle and its kind of nice..

an old man told me once the think of me cups were where the family they put the missionary money for church...
ann

Patricia said...

Nice, I'll have to put that on my things to find! A left handed mustache cup-well I never would have thought about it. Know what you mean about thinking about parents who have passed. I think of my folks daily, too. Don't often say that, people will think I'm a realy sappy soul. Thanks for the usual lovely post.
Pat
Patricia Rose-A Potpourri of Fabric, Fragrance and Findings
www.patriciarose-apotpourri.com
www.patriciarose-apotpourriof.blogspot.com

Elyse said...

hi sue! it's elyse from RI. your blog header looks great. is it new?

lovely tribute to your father.

my sister betsy is in OC this weekend so i'm sure she'll be stopping in to say hello.

happy summer!

xo

Anonymous said...

Another useful lesson on a neat old standard!!! It is always nice to be surprised by what you have found to use in the blog for the week. Thanks for keeping us all sharp about things from the past.