Sunday, August 16, 2009

Does anybody know what time it is?

Depending on your age, you might remember the Chicago song...
Does anybody really know what time it is
Does anybody really care
If so I cant imagine why


I do not think a day goes by where someone you talk to does not bemoan not having enough time. Now, you have to wonder in this new age with all the labor saving devices why no one seems to have no time...perhaps this box has something to do with it...I know I can easily fritter away the hours playing skip to my lou through web sites...and then there is Facebook and their silly quizzes and Farkle and Pet Putz...but...it is a new age...

Anyway, I do not deal in clocks in my shop...my knowledge of them is like this empty clock case...and, if you remember, one of the key components to being an antique dealer is knowledge. So, when I do not know, I step away from the item. But, I do have 2 clocks in the shop...actually travel alarms...which is odd since when you travel, why do you need to be tied to time...anyway...sweet little things...nothing fancy.

Of course, a little history here...Peter Henlein, a German locksmith from Nuremberg created the first portable clock. He replaced the heavy weights with springs, and called them "Nuremberg Eggs". Although they slowed down as the mainspring unwound, they were popular among wealthy individuals due to their size and the fact that they could be put on a shelf or table instead of hanging from the wall. According to my research, they were the first portable timepieces, but they only had an hour hand, minute hands did not appear until 1670, and there was no glass protection. Glass over the face of the watch did not come about until the 17th century. Still, Henlein's advances in design were precursors to truly accurate timekeeping.

My first little clock is a real gem...really...this little traveling alarm clock has turquoise rhinestones around the face. Based on some for sale online, it seems to be from the 1930s era...
My other little find in pure 60s...I think I had a similar one in college...
and speaking of that time...check out this pendant I got in an auction lot...which goes to show you that time may pass, but things take longer to change!

I love the inscription above...Beverly Hills mothers in 1968...bet that was an interesting group!

Anyway...hope you enjoyed your time here...and as Will Rogers said, "Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life trying to save."

11 comments:

Marie said...

Hi Susan,
I enjoyed your "timely" post. Hope all is well with you. I mentioned you and Sherri on my blog today. Stop by if you get a chance.
Marie

Anonymous said...

The 60's pendant really brought me back in time!! That empty clock case is a real gem in the rough. It could be reused into any number of things. Another great week end is over, and it is hard to believe that summer will soon be over, too.
A timely post on time!!!

gail said...

Hi Susan,,I love the rhinstone clock! I love the little 60's travel one too. Being a very right brained person, I never know what time it is. I dont own very many clocks at all! I am pet sitting at this house now and I have never seen so many darn clocks. In the bed room alone there are 5! Two in the bathroom. I will have to go on a tour and count all of them in the house. Its really funny. Kind of feel like I am Alice in wonderland. LOL Have a great week. PS. I like the pendant!!!
hugs, gail

Brenda @Just a Bed of Roses said...

time does fly for sure...I just started a face book...I'm afraid its going to be a time waster, but my boys are on there...need to keep track!
Hey, I love chicago anything song...so it was nice to hummm a bit while I read your blog on clocks. like you, not into clocks, dont even have ONE in the shop. I did order a little halloween one though.

Noelle Garrett Designs said...

Hi Susan,

I actually like the empty clock case best. lol. Not much of a clock person myself. I wish I lived closer too. I would love to snatch up that bed you mentioned! Wishing you a wonderful week!
hugs,
Carrie

Cindy said...

I so enjoyed your blog this morning. Very creative! Speeking of time, I've got to run. Have a great day.



cindy-stitches-n-stuff.blogspot.com

Michelle (Shell) May said...

Time, time, time. Never enough of it. Get's faster every year!
Great post my friend. As always!
bunny hugs,
shell

Janet Bernasconi said...

Hi Susan!

What fabulous treasures you have! love,love,love things from the past. It's always a treat to visit you. Can you believe how fast summer is going by? Pretty soon fall will be here,but looking forward to it.
Great post as always Susan. Have a wonderful week.
xoxo

Janet
Janet's Creative Pillows

Counting Your Blessings said...

I love clocks, especially the vintage one. Of course I don't know a thing about how they work either. =) Thanks for sharing.

Blessings... Polly

Elyse said...

hi sue!

i just saw that you are a fellow "marketeer" over at flea market style and thought i'd pop over to say hello. hello!

i hope all is well and busy in ol' cape may courthouse.

happy summer to you from the ocean state!

xo
elyse

Kimberly said...

Susan I really like the turquoise rhinestone clock!
http://thehopechestblog.blogspot.com/