Sunday, August 23, 2009

Road Trip

This week's post was prompted by a spur of the moment road trip. At breakfast on Saturday, 2 rambunctious kitties broke a cherished mug of mine...an "S" cup from Anthropologie.

No problem...order one...problem...out of stock until 11/09. So, husband says, call that new store that opened...and-voila`! "S"cups in stock...an extremely helpful girl promised to put 2(an heir and a spare as my elf said) aside.

And that is how we found ourselves on the road after my shop closed heading for Marlton, NJ, and the brand new Anthro that opened in a spectacular mall called The Promenade. It was raining or I would have taken pics, but lightning and rain and my camera do not mix! There is a fountain at the entrance, the streets are brick cobblestones...the shops upscale.

But, my focus was Anthropologie. My trip to any Anthropologie is not only just as a consumer but also as a business owner, a busman's holiday as it were...always a little history here...that term comes from 19th century England. The drivers of these horse driven omnibuses were attached to their particular team of horses pulling their carriage through town. During their days off, many of these omnibus drivers would disguise themselves as regular passengers in order to keep a critical eye on the relief drivers and the horses. It is said that the phrase "busman's holiday" arose from this practice of bus drivers spending their downtime riding the buses.


So, I was off to spy under the guise of getting my "S" cups...my husband helped since he does love road trips, but he is not an inconspicuous spy! And, then much to my surprise the manager said I could take pictures! Having been chastised at the Anthro in NYC several years ago, I was surprised, but I whipped out the camera!








This is Candace, the Marlton manager. We learned she moved from California to take this position because her family is in New Hope, PA.

For those who are not familiar with this store (its partners are Urban Outfitters, Free People, and a new garden center Terrain), it is truly inspirational. In retail, display is key, and these folks have it down...for example, check these out...

A mini clipboard with a price list that has been typed...yes, typed...see, people dous those old typewriters I blogged about!

A map with some countries cut out and propped on binoculars...

A stash of paper airplanes ready for launch...

A stack of boards becomes a wall...

I believe it is important to pay attention to what is going on in the retail world...and even though I am antique/vintage, I can appreciate Anthro's use of antique/vintage for their props...


One thing that tickled me...might horrify some...was their display of old oil paintings that had been altered...her collar is fabric...the canvas was cut out...same for the others...section of canvas had been replaced with fabric...hmmm...no longer will I ignore that dilapidated oil at auction...



I do love their creative spirit...check the contruction lamps hanging here...or, as my husband commented, an electrician's nightmare...
Not to mention big bird made out of papier mache and cut paper...

Of course, there are the usual home decor and clothes but still with the vibes of color and movement and excitement...
all that life should be...

















Years ago when I wandered into the Anthro in Soho, I was smitten...and then 2 years ago, I met my elf...she had been affiliated with them in their early days...and, I will stick my neck out here(this is behind the check out at the counter)
and say that finding this store influenced my shop from that day. I love their essence...I get rejuvenated by a stroll through one of these stores, and, with the help of my elf, try to give people the same thrill when they come to my shop.

And so, there you have the saga of the broken mug and our Saturday night road trip to Marlton, NJ and Anthropologie!!

6 comments:

Punk Rose Journal said...

Hi Susan, I really enjoyed this post! I've never been inside an Anthro shop, I loved seeing all the photos you took. What a cool store! I love the "S" cup! Hope you are having a beautiful Sunday! P.S. - the photos on your sidebar are gorgeous! So many pretty things, xo Sherri

Cindy said...

You have a very exciting life. Love that you and your hubby just pick up and do a road trip like that.

So glad that you replaced your s cup. Notty kitty.



cindy-stitches-n-stuff.blogspot.com

Brenda @Just a Bed of Roses said...

Oh boy, as a shop owner and friend I loved going on this road trip with you, loved everything!
I agree on the picture thing adding cloth...ding ding ding...you should have seen the kind of homely old lady picture I bought sat. I just may have to fabric her up now!!!
How fun, thanks for a fun mini trip.

gail said...

Hi Susan,, what a fun trip. I love Anthropology also. Who doesnt? lol The store manager was so nice to let you take photos to share with us. They have eclectic down to an art form for sure. I am so glad you got your new "S" mugs! :)
Have a great week,, (())) gail

BarbBinFlorida said...

Sue - this is just way too cool. What a gorgeous blogspot. Now I can keep up with you in the winter.

Barb

Michelle (Shell) May said...

Let's see.... how do I describe what I'm feeling??? One word.. JEALOUS!!!! hee,hee,hee.
What a fun shopping adventure! What fun photos! What a nice store manager to let you take photos! What a cool paper bird! What cool stuff!!! Can you tell I'm jealous???

bunny hugs,
shell