Sunday, September 20, 2009

In the pink

Turning 61 last Thursday and being healthy, I received a wonderful birthday present that day hearing that my best friend who is Stage IV breast cancer received good tumor marker and scan news. It is funny how the older we get, the more we see health as a gift...we want to be in the pink. We know that the pink ribbon is an internationally recognized symbol of hope and awareness in the fight against breast cancer, but we all want to be in the pink.

But, the earliest use of that phrase was not related to health. Shakespeare coined it as meaning the best of something...in 1597 in Romeo and Juliet, Mercurio says, "Why, I am the very pinke of curtesie." It also appears that Queen Elizabeth I also liked pink since one of her favorite flowes was Dianthus...or Pinks as they are called as well.

In Japan, the color pink has a masculine association. The annual blooming of the cherry trees with its pink blossoms each spring is said to represent the young Japanese warriors (Samurai) who fell in battle in the prime of life.




I remember the first time I saw this scene when we lived in D.C. It is totally breathtaking.

But, how do I relate this to something antique/vintage...aha! It is my latest flea market stash...this time Pink Milk Glass...I can transition anything...ask my students! Jeannette Glass Company in Jeannette, PA produced Shell Pink from 1957-1959. The company originally manufactured bottles as Jeannette Bottle Works Company in 1887, and in 1899, Jeannette Glass automated and mass produced bottles, wide mouth jars, relishes and pressed glass products including automobile headlamp lenses, vault lights and glass building blocks. Jeannette was an early American producer of machine made pressed glassware, and, by the 1920s, was producing a wide range of glass products for medical, industrial and home uses. In 1924, they introduced their tableware products, which are now known as Depression glass.

When milk glass became popular in the 50s, Jeannette used some of their regular molds to create the Shell Pink line. They wanted to compete with Westmoreland and Fenton by doing a unique softer look. Many of the pieces were sold to Napco Ceramics in Cleveland, Ohio, and to the florist industry, but they only kept it in production from 1957-1959.

Here are some of the pieces available in the shop...this is called Thumbprint...you will see this in clear pressed also.

This is a candy dish in the grapevine pattern. I imagine many of these lids were dropped as children peeked in to see what was inside.

This is called Baltimore Pear...obviously...the lid is quite unique on the sugar though...



There are only serving pieces and floral items in this pink...no dinner dishes...here is one of the serving trays. I guess women combined the pinks with the whites and the pink depression dishes.
Anyway, I am tickled pink to have all this pink milk glass in stock right now...and so hope you are in the pink...and until next week...

6 comments:

Brenda @Just a Bed of Roses said...

Love your transition story on PINK, and best wishes to your good friend, what a blessing that you are her friend.
Not familiar with the thumbprint style, and I thought I had seen it all. Good you took pictures of your milk glass,it wont last long and my customers would snatch that right up in a second.
Again, love to learn each week from your wealth of knowledge on antiques of any kind.
Especially love how you ended with "Au revoir" your one of a kind Susan! Love it!

Cindy-Stitches-N-Stuff said...

Hi Susan, you are so right on both issues. Health is everything and So is Milk Glass.

cindy@stitches

gail said...

Hi Susan,, I love the pink milk glass. We had one of those candy dishes growing up! I loved that thing. lol I am happy to hear the news of your friend as well. Thanks for visiting. I can only imagine a trip down to the bottom of the canyon by mule. Aaaghhh! I was bummed about the photo of the squirrel. I am collecting squirrel photos of my travels! lol I hope you had a wonderful birthday! Keep on celebrating for a few more days. Heck why not. Hugs, gail

Cindy-Stitches-N-Stuff said...

Susan, I am looking for a sweet white and black cup and saucer. If you see one-let me know.

cindy@stitches

Brenda @Just a Bed of Roses said...

So why didn't I wish you a happy birthday last week...well, here it is "Happy Birthday" belated! Looking forward to your new blogging today.

Michelle (Shell) May said...

A late happy birthday Susan! Glad you did recieve a wonderful gift of good news. To me that's always the best present from a dear friend.
The milk glass is so beautiful.
bunny hugs,
shell