Sunday, November 22, 2009

Sweater, n.: garment worn by child when its mother is feeling chilly.

So said Ambrose Bierce, but the weather here is getting chilly...after all, it is the end of November so let the sweaters begin!

What caught my eye this week was a picture from this a fairly new TV show, Glee. Although I usually watch shows that have teaching as a plot line, I have missed this one, but the magic of internet TV will allow me to catch up. Anyway, this picture of a character who is the guidance counselor at the school made me take notice.I think the setting is modern, but she has a sweater clip on!!!! These are so retro 50s! I have had women who did not even know what they were for! If for no other reason, I have to watch to see what trends may be on the move if this show is as successful as it seems to be.

I actually ended up with a stash of these clips in an auction lot the other night.
Some of the older ones have rather nasty looking alligator clips on them while others appear to be simply tie clip styles.



It appears these may have evolved from the European chatelaine pins. These were pins with chains enabled women to keep their needlework scissors and needles handy. Originally chatelaine dates to the middle ages. The name was given to the keeper of castle keys (usually the lord's wife) which were worn on a chain like a belt. Eventually, keys were replaced by magnifiers, sewing kits, and even books! It was streamlined to the pins with small chains as castles fell out of favor as the family homestead.


But, as Fran Lebowitz says, "If you are a dog and your owner suggests that you wear a sweater suggest that he wear a tail."
Happy Thanksgiving, dear readers!

4 comments:

mountainhomestore said...

Oh Susan, just love the pic of the dog! Hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Noelle Garrett Designs said...

Hi Susan,

Love your post! So many pretties and the dog is so funny. I am going to the Dallas Market in Jan. with 4 other woman/businesses. We are sharing a booth. I am working on a spring line to bring! I am very excited and very busy getting it all together. If you are interested I can send you my info when it's all ready. I will also be carrying this line on my site wholesale as well.

Take care and wishing you and your family a very happy Thanksgiving!

xo
Carrie

Brenda @Just a Bed of Roses said...

the turkey dog...priceless!

Love the clips...I think they will become hot and like you I hear this all the time as to what they are, but what i love is that you could hang something from the chain that goes inbetween each piece and girls are talking of putting them in their hair.
What about a christmas tree ornie, the clip is already on it.
Great subject.
Its going to be popular soon...

gail said...

Hi Susan,, I love the green sweater. I always loved those sweater clips. It would be great to see them come back. I would love to see the fashion of the 50 and 60s come back. LOL BUT never the 80's! lol
I hope you have a very special Thanksgiving. Enjoy your week,
(()) gail