Sunday, January 17, 2010

Can you snuggle up with a Kindle?


Well, maybe, if that is your significant other's name or one of your pets...but I am talking about the electronic box. So much is being written about the e-book world, and I suppose it will eventually take over just as records gave way to CDs and then to the Ipod, but I am maintaining my love of books--hey, I did not get those degrees in English and Library Science for naught. I cannot resist a stack of old books...I love the titles, the authors' names, and, when there, the illustrations.

I bought a stack of books by author "Temple Bailey." Now the name fascinated me because the books were from the 20s and the 30s. In doing some research, I found that her first name was Irene, and her middle name was Temple...probably her mother's surname. Anyway, she was born in 1885 and died in 1935. It was noted that beginning in 1902 Bailey was contributing stories to national magazines such as The Saturday Evening Post, Cavalier Magazine, Cosmopolitan, The American Magazine, McClure's, Woman's Home Companion, Good Housekeeping, McCall's.

In 1914, Bailey wrote the screenplay for the Vitagraph Studios film Auntie, and two of her books were filmed. She also had three of her books on the list of bestselling novels in the United States in 1918, 1922, and 1926 as determined by Publishers Weekly.

But what the research uncovered that was missing in my stash...




were the covers that came with the original books...



I hope that they went to a good place...like a girl's scrapbook...although I happened on a website that sells facsimilie covers for $15...but then I got to thinking about modern books...e-books...there are no graphic losses to mourn...no artists who will gain noteriety from being the illustrator. And that brings me to the more things change, the more they stay the same.

The man who did many of Bailey's illustrations was Henry Hutt. In tracking him down, I found an article from August 1912 NY Times: "Divorce proceedings were begun this afternoon by Mrs. Edna G. Hutt against Henry Hutt, a New York artist. The complaint only sets forth a charge of desertion, alleged to have occurred in New York in 1910, seven years after they were married. Mrs. Hutt also requests the court of give her the custody of their eight-year-old child, who is with her in Reno." Obviously, Hutt found himself ato use a Temple Bailey title!

And for giggles and grins...here is an excerpt..."blindle" style (blogger + kindle) and a list of some titles and plots...


So...I still think it is better to curl up with a book...or to have a stack of books on the nightstand instead of an electronic tablet...but Bob Dylan's words still echo today...
Come writers and critics
Who prophesize with your pen
And keep your eyes wide
The chance won't come again
And don't speak too soon
For the wheel's still in spin
And there's no tellin' who
That it's namin'.
For the loser now
Will be later to win
For the times they are a-changin'.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Susan, Much like you I'll stick with the books. I love to get into a good book and just while the time away. Some of these new electronic gadgets are just not for people of our vintage. However, I think we should enable ourselves of their eventual use. The dust covers are just great.
George

Brenda @Just a Bed of Roses said...

I too will anytime take old books over electronics...of course I do love the blogging world of artists.

Love how you featured her and the titles of her books are simple yet you want to read them. Still charming without those missing covers. Who would title a book nowdays with these names?
Thanks again for your research.