Sunday, March 21, 2010

Am I blue....

no...but my cabinet is...This past week was my spring break from teaching so my elf and I went to work reorganizing...unlike my students who probably headed to Florida or Cancun...anyway paint was on the agenda...we picked this color long before the blizzards blew in...but this blue just lights up this old cabinet...
this is our "wine & entertaining" section...a la vintage...a little Limoge...wine glasses...silverplate...
















But I liked it so much that I had her do the bookcase that holds the Fiesta and funky fifties pottery...and Van Gogh said, "There is no blue without yellow and without orange."
So, since we are blue...we moved a stash of 1960s Capri glassware to the front also. Now, technically "capri" is the color for this Hazel Atlas glassware line...
Its official names are "Seashell," "Swirl Colonial," or "Colonial Alpine." You can see from the picture below from the Florence book, Glassware from the 40s, 50s, 60s the different varieties in this line.
I have a stash of tumblers in the "Dots" which, according to the price guide, are "Skol Swedish Style Glasses"--that from an original box with them in...
they do look so beachy and summery...not just for drinks though. Great for a dessert shot as they are called now...a scoop of sherbet...ice cream...fruit...you cannot help but think summer when you look at this color.

In doing some researching, I found this "Fun Facts About the Color Blue."

President Martin VanBuren is credited with introducing blue into the decorating scheme in 1837, and there has been a "blue room" in the White House ever since.(I am sure considering political life, many of those rooms have been "blue.")

Blue is the favored color choice for toothbrushes. (Have a blue one. What color is yours?)

Over the past decade, scientists have reported the successful use of blue light in the treatment of a wide variety of psychological problems, including addictions, eating disorders, impotence and depression. (Now that might do us well around here after this winter of wacko weather!! Maybe that is why the color was so appealing!)

In auto racing, a blue flag advises a car to yield to faster traffic behind. (Did not know that...I am not a Nascar fan.)

An old superstition says that when lights burn blue there are ghosts about.
(My lights just burn out...no ghosts, I guess.)

So, if you are blue, it is not all bad...and we even have a birdhouse for the bluebird of happiness...come on down, we are ready!

5 comments:

Marge said...

Great spring look in your shop! I sold a blue wine bottle made into a light (a string of tiny rice lights inside) to a woman who keeps a blue light on at all times to protect her son who is a policeman.

gail said...

I love seeing photos from around your pretty shop. I love the blue cabinet and all of the blue dishes! I have been in a blue mood (in a happy way). I have been making lots of blue jewelry :) I hope you have a pretty spring week ahead!
take care, gail

Ms. Bake-it said...

Hello,

Just found your blog and am so glad I did! Love the blue cabinet but especially love the 1960s Capri glassware. I also love the Fenton hobnail I saw in a previous post. They would fit so well in my home! Makes me wish I lived in NJ so I could visit your shop!

~ Tracy

Brenda @Just a Bed of Roses said...

The blue cabinet is a wonderful piece and shows off your wine center.
Love what Van Gogh says about blue, when together they are a happy piece of art and compliment each other.
You have really made a sharp looking statement in your shop during theses dreary days.
Your customers should enjoy their visit.

Brenda @Just a Bed of Roses said...

I thought that cute blue bird picture was familiar, on my most recent post I had framed that little card just yesterday, small world!