Sunday, June 27, 2010

I would rather be ashes than dust!

I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time. ~Jack London

I have been using this to showcase some flea market purchases, but this week I want to feature some people who use their time well. On the way home from the flea market this week, I discovered a neat shop. It has been an interesting economy, to say the least, for the independent business owner, but the American dream fosters the entrepreneur. In that spirit, I bring you Shawn of Bittersweet Farm Etc in Salem, NJ.
I was drawn by the outside displays...every shop owner reading this understands that magnetic field!
But once inside the small shop, I was captured by her displays...the word that came to mind was "organic." As you look at the pictures, if you are into plants and nature, you cannot help but be charmed. Her primitive pieces are incorporated creatively as well...it is truly eye candy in a small space...every glance a treasure...

Some more from this tiny oasis in Salem, NJ...












It is the small store that has been overshadowed by the big boxes and the internet, but these represent the meteors of the retail world. And I have nothing against the internet...heaven knows it is how we communicate, and I used it to find a plumber this week. After several days of calling plumbers with no success...not even a call back...I went online to search...and found a plumber who actually answered the phone! Within a couple hours, he was outside my kitchen, and by the following day the kitchen sink was back in business.






And so, in tribute to someone who uses his time well, I give you Hunter Plumbing...www.hunterplumbingnj.com

Father and son discuss what to do...and voila`~the sink is working again...
So, if you are local and reading this...a plumber who actually shows up and does the work!!!

Another internet treasure is Erica...I have been carrying her silk and ribbon rose pins in my shop for over 2 years now, and she is featured in the new Romantic Home magazine (for sale in the shop~magazine & roses). Again, another small business owner surviving in this economy.

















So, if you have the opportunity to support a glowing meteor instead of a permanent planet, do so! The experience is amazingly rewarding!

3 comments:

Brenda @Just a Bed of Roses said...

I love Shawns shop...hey to me its all about display, love hers! It's not always size that counts...it's whats inside taking that space!

Love Hunters plumbing, yeah father and son fixing Susans kitchen.

And Erica...I adore, customers love her products and the love she puts into them, congratulations to Erica!

Especially agree on the quote about life...lets not EXIST... I hate to exist...lets live, mistakes and all!

Relics said...

Her shop is so adorable!

I also need to post about Erica's flowers- I sell them too (thanks to you my East Coast Friend!)

What a nice article.... hope you are having a lovely lovely day,

LOVE YOUR BLOG,
Deb
:)

THE SPICE CUPBOARD said...

Thanks for introducing me to Bittersweet Farm - I felt like I was visiting an old friend. I so enjoy your blog...XO, Judy