Sunday, December 5, 2010

How did it get so late so soon?

It's night before it's afternoon. December is here before it's June. My goodness how the time has flewn. How did it get so late so soon? ~ Dr. Seuss

I always think of December as a month where everyone is rushing to get to the end, and the holidays play a big part in this hysteria. As a college teacher, I am looking at finals and grades mixed in with cookie making, card sending, and gift wrapping.

Every now and then, it is just fun to remember life before all that growing up took place. Whenever I pick up some vintage ornaments or decorations, I am 6 not 62.

I love the faded paint on these 40s-50s ornaments.























Then, you have the boxes that are proudly labeled "American Made." Lots of luck finding a new box of balls with that label on today!
I love this box and contents...


And I also love the boxes when the previous owner carefully wrapped each ball in tissue before putting it away. Something about that gesture says caring...
Then you have the Santa planters...they held candy or a plant...the faces on the Santas are comforting...
The 50s brought all the plastic accents also...these little boots originally held lollipops or candy canes, and after the candy was eaten, they became ornaments. The cotton batting around the top has disappeared with time, but they are still charming.
So, as you march into December, consider a piece of Christmas past...

1 comment:

Tessa Zeng said...

Such exquisite pictures! I'm actually longing for Christmas break, now. As a college student myself I can say...good luck from the other end of finals!