Sunday, January 16, 2011

“Twenty years from now

you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” ~Mark Twain

The week has been newsworthy with the Arizona shootings. I was especially moved by the story of the 9 year old, Christina Green. Her parents showed great charity in the midst of unbearable tragedy to donate her organs. And then you had the story of Daniel Hernandez who practiced the first aid he was taught and may have saved the Congresswoman's life. All lessons learned, and, by comparison, talking about "stuff" seems so small in the big picture, but life goes on, doesn't it?

I think key in the lessons learned is to do what you love...to collect what you love...to use what you love. This business facilitates those who buy things because they will be worth money or "I can sell this on ebay and cash in." I am starting year 20, and I have to say that I have never bought anything that I did not like myself. I know that probably goes against retail rules, but so be it. I go back to teaching this week...spring semester...and I love it. I have been fortunate to do what I love...not making big bucks...but after seeing what can happen in a moment at a grocery store, money did not save anyone.

So, with the sail on metaphor...here is this week's highlight. I have a large collection of cobalt blue Depression era glasses, pitchers, and ice buckets in stock. By now, those of us in the snowy east are ready to set sail on the ocean blue!
Hazel Atlas produced this series, the “Ships” or "Sportsman's Series" line of glassware. These pieces are decorated with white decals featuring sailboats, skiers, Spanish dancers and even fish. These were primarily cocktail and occasional sets rather than complete dinnerware patterns.By the 1930s, Hazel-Atlas had fifteen plants (plants included those in Clarksburg, WV; Zanesville, OH; Ada, OK; Montgomery, AL; Oakland, CA; Pomona, CA) and was the largest glass manufacturer in the world. Their mark gets confused with Anchor Hocking, but it is an "A" nestled underneath an "H". The mark was reportedly first used in 1923, and it was used until 1964 when they were bought by Brockway Glass. Of course, not every piece was marked, but, if you see the mark, you will know it is Hazel Atlas.
So, as Longfellow wrote,
"...sail on, O Ship of State!
Sail on, O UNION, strong and great!"

1 comment:

Liz said...

Came across your blog by chance and think it is very interesting - love the historical insight you add to your posts. Once a teacher .... !
Liz