Sunday, March 27, 2011

“If a woman rebels against high-heeled shoes,

she should take care to do it in a very smart hat.”
~George Bernard Shaw


I have to seek out some smart hats because last fall I dropped a stash of pewter plates on my foot, and I have had to give up the spikes because they put pressure right over the big toe, so, I am returning to my foot roots...the klompen...the clog...although people tend to think the Dutch all wear wooden shoes, it really is the accessory of the farmer or the garden/nursery worker.
If you wear any "clog" styled shoe, you fit the Dutch definition.
The wooden shoe was an easy project since carving woods like willow are abundant in the Netherlands. The wooden shoe worked well since it protected the foot from sharp instruments or moisture.The long association of Dutch with wooden clogs can be traced to the traditional creation myths of ancient Germanic tribes who originally occupied modern Holland. Think Birkenstocks...
The French "clog" - "sabot" has a neat tale...in the 18th and 19th century it was associated with the lower classes. During this period, the years of the Industrial Revolution, the word sabotage gained currency. Allegedly derived from sabot, sabotage described the actions of disgruntled workers who willfully damaged workplace machinery by throwing their sabots into the works. However, according to some accounts, sabot-clad workers were simply considered less productive than others who had switched to leather shoes, roughly equating the term "sabotage" with "inefficiency."

My pickers or at auction seem to look to me to buy the Dutch items because of the shop's name...and I do buy...my favorite is the McCoy Dutch shoe...


The wooden shoe will forever be linked to Dutch decor though. If you think clog, it has a broader appeal. Any way you look at it, my foot will be clogged not heeled...let me go check on some hats now...

1 comment:

The Cinnamon Stick said...

Oh I look "not so good" in hats and can't wear heels at all (never did as the Mister is just as tall as me)..anyway...a "bunion" ruins the stylish shoe look for me and clogs are my "shoe of choice"...(and they are so darn comfy!!) Dress up has it's drawbacks however but I always have a pair to change into if my feet can't take the heat!! XO