Sunday, March 20, 2011

"Lest I should be old-fashioned,

I'll put a trinket on.
~Emily Dickinson


Because I am adding more jewelry to the store stock, nothing precious, mind you--anyone looking for gold or silver~move on, but I am adding some of the accoutrements that go with jewelry.
Trinket boxes are one of those little accessories. Jewelry boxes of any size were only for the wealthy until the Industrial Revolution enabled a middle class to become consumers (interesting how we may be on a reverse trend these days...but I digress). Trinket is a funny little word, and research shows there is no origin for it, but it was used in the 1500s to label a thing of little value or a small ornament as in jewel or ring...I think I would take a trinket from Tiffany's any day though!
Between 1904 and 1918 the mass production of jewelry boxes began, and Sears and Montgomery Wards catalogs of the early 1900s offered jewelry boxes of all sizes and shapes at prices the average family could afford. Jewelry stores started to market the boxes with their jewels.This box is an old Chinese enameled piece...interesting design...Many modern pieces are done in design of animals or other objects. I have been buying the older pieces...these are early Japanese...they modeled their designs after the higher end Bavarian and French boxes...much like China is known for today...copy the better pieces.

Glass was popular during the Depression and WWII when imports from Japan were halted.

In the 50s and 60s, metal alloys were used.
So, if you want a little treasure chest to keep your treasure in, consider one a trinket box...perhaps you can even capture a little bit of a spring day!

2 comments:

The Cinnamon Stick said...

I love trinkets and love your trinket boxes!! Our daffies are just not "budding" - I will pick some on Wednesday to take into the store. Enjoy my "history" lessons when I visit. XO, Judy

The Cinnamon Stick said...

That was suppose to say just "now" budding...sigh!