Sunday, August 19, 2012

"Creativity is inventing,

experimenting, growing, taking risks, breaking rules, making mistakes, and having fun.” ~Mary Lou Cook
And, at your local businesses you will find the unique and special.  Granted, it is easy to point and click , and don't forget those "apps", but there is something about shopping that the computer or the android point and click just does not satisfy for me.  In the fall, the craft festivals tend to blossom along with the mums, and it is neat to see what the local artisans are crafting...and it is local money...not corporate money!  I heard so many tales from my summer visitors who bemoaned the loss of small shops like mine in their home towns.  Shopping in the little shops may be an afterthought with the lure of the Home Goods or even the more upscale Anthro.

For example, I got an email from Anthropologie.  Now, if you know me, you know I admire their sense of design, but I do not admire their prices! 
I think they have been peeking at my jewelry elf's creations.  Sharon has been repurposing vintage for me for over a year now.  Just as I was contemplating this week's blog, in comes Sharon with these...

They are lucite and vintage beads and crystals. What a neat little gift!
Now, not only does she mix the old and the new, she designs those wonderful cards to mount her earrings on...and not $38...plus shipping if you don't have Anthro out your back door...these are $10!

 She also takes the old clip-on earrings and reworks them...necklaces and bracelets...still under $30!
And she takes charms and beads and does theme bracelets...this has shoes...
Robert Henri said that "the real artist's work is a surprise to himself." My BFF elf Ruthie never ceases to surprise me.  She "repurposed" farm baskets...

Again...all under $20...fall colors will be coming...and these are not Chinese imports...these are painted in her back yard...not some foreign sweat shop although this weather has turned all of our yards into sweat shops!
So, keep in mind that the boxes and the apps provide quick shopping, but, if you want something different, consider the little local shops, the local artists; these are people creating...inventing...having fun.  If you need inspiration, the new Flea Market magazine is in stock...a packed issue for those who love to take risks and break rules!

"The creative person is both more primitive and more cultivated, more destructive, a lot madder and a lot saner, than the average person."  ~ Frank Barron

1 comment:

Custom Lapel Pins said...

Hi,i have read your whole blog,its very amazing,i am impressed.i have bookmark your site for revisit.if ever you need then please contact me.Thanx dear.