Sunday, August 5, 2012

"I've learned that people will forget

what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."      ~Maya Angelou

This week marks a year since I lost my best friend of nearly 40 years, so a little touch of personal here...and a reminder that life is more than stuff.  Having been in stage 4 breast cancer for many months, Peggy and I would talk about the day she would leave, but, although not unexpected, it was sudden.  She would always remind me..."Now, you are going to have to deal with ___{fill-in}_____."  Many issues revolved around politics--she was a strong Democrat believing that all humans deserved to live their lives in harmony.  She fought for health care having seen patients who could not have the treatments her insurance provided...women with breast cancer who needed to choose between food on the table or meds.  She worked the phone banks, counted ballots, went to conventions, and believed deeply in the American spirit.
During her tough chemo days, she watched Jon Stewart's Daily Show, and, when she was finally able to travel, she flew to NYC where her daughter had arranged VIP tickets for us.  When we moved to New Jersey, they moved to Florida.   Her husband just posted an album on Facebook, and, when this picture came up, I could barely breathe.
Even our finale together was Jon Stewart's Rally to Restore Sanity in the fall of 2010.  (It didn't work too well, but we gave it our best shot!)
When her daughter Dana and husband Marty were able to sort through some of her "stuff," they sent me a box.  I will admit that it took some time for me to open it.  One of the vintage/retro collectibles she loved were the 60s-70s enameled flower pins.  I would always buy them when I saw them, and one year for Christmas I found a pin to match the pictures for each month on a calendar that I gave her.  Peggy was truly a flower child...a child of the 60s...peace...love...I cannot hear John Lennon's "Imagine" and not think of her.  In many ways, I think those of us who deal in vintage, retro, antique...whatever you want to call it...we really deal in memories.   Even if you come into the shop and buy nothing,  I hope we have made you feel better...smile...conjure up some good memories.  Cherish the people in your lives...




you can always buy "neat" stuff...but those "neat" special people...as the commercial says, they are "priceless."

"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal."  ~From a headstone in Ireland

1 comment:

The Cinnamon Stick said...

Susan - know your loss - I lost a best friend exactly 30 years ago to breast cancer... - Her birth name was Mary Margaret Kelly - she was so proud of her Irish heritage - I LOVE the headstone quote from Ireland - truer words were never written...glad they were "written in stone" !! XO