Sunday, June 16, 2013

"Old as she was,

she still missed her daddy sometimes." ~ Gloria Naylor
Today is Father's Day.  My Dad died in 1997, but my mother says as long as I am alive so is my father, but he used to tell me, "You are never going to get out of this world alive so deal with it." I am an only child, and my Dad wanted a boy...when he asked the doctor if he was sure I was a girl, the doctor told my Dad, "The baby has no stem-winder!"
My Dad though did raise me to be liberated long before it was in vogue.  He made me a strong woman...
cautioned me about having people take advantage of me, but he also made me patient...and that patience has helped me more in life than I ever imagined.  Interestingly, it was a daughter who lobbied for a Father's Day.  Sonora Dodd of Spokane, Washington, was listening to a Mother’s Day sermon in 1909 knowing her mother had died leaving her father, William Smart, to raise his six children on a farm.  A day in June was chosen for the first Father’s Day celebration, June 19, 1910, and was proclaimed by Spokane’s mayor because it was the month of William Smart’s birth. 

The first presidential proclamation honoring fathers was issued in 1966 when President Lyndon Johnson designated the third Sunday in June as Father’s Day. Father’s Day has been celebrated annually since 1972 when President Richard Nixon signed the public law that made it permanent.
Father's Day spending is still far less (40%) than Mother's Day (you know, if Mama ain't happy, no one is happy!).

I never agreed with my Dad on many things...moving to New Jersey was one...he was originally from the Paterson/Passaic area before marrying my Mother and moving to Pennsylvania...he looked at me and said, "Susan, no one moves to New Jersey."  I did respect him though and never argued with him.  He kept me humble--did not think twice about calling me stupid--self esteem was not key in the 50s, discipline was, yet he never countered my decisions once I was older, but he still yelled at me for not wearing shoes as he sat in his chair in his final days that December! No matter how old I was, I was his little girl...and I miss him dearly.
"A father is always making his baby into a little woman. And when she is a woman he turns her back again." ~ Enid Bagnold

No comments: