Sunday, September 22, 2013

"I am only one, but

still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
                                                                ~Edwin Hale 

I have tried in running my shop to be fair in pricing which is always a challenge in this secondary market.  What The Roadshow says something is worth, and what it is worth in reality may be worlds apart.  But, I try to keep sticker shock at a minimum so that people are not overwhelmed.

I try to buy American made products to accent our vintage/antique finds, but sometimes I have to go to the import market for those décor items that I know people are looking for.  In an attempt to have unique items for gifts, I have found a wonderful business that promotes Fair Trade...Sevya...
According to the Fair Trade Organization with which they are affiliated, "Fair Trade is about making a tremendous impact on artisan and farmer communities while offering great products to the public.  Fairly traded clothing, coffee, food, furniture, home decor, housewares, jewelry, tea, toys, personal accessories, and many other products are available from Fair Trade Organizations.
Communities are improved; nutritional needs met; health care costs are covered; the poor, especially women, are empowered; the environmental impact of production, sourcing, and transport is mitigated to the fullest extent possible. Such an impact is created because Fair Trade approaches development as a holistic process."

We have a variety of silk and silk and wool scarves that are just stunning, and we have teamed them with some vintage jewels...everything old can be new again with the right scenario!

From Sevya's site...
“Sevya” means caring through service; caring for humanity and for the environment we live in. Sevya is dedicated to preserving the indigenous art forms of India by supporting the artisan communities who uphold these traditions.
So, come on in and tie one on!



 
 We also have silk throws...57 X 74.

They are made from ahimsa or "cruelty-free" silk.  This is wild silk that is cultivated on forest trees.  The silk is harvested after the worm has become a moth and left the cocoon.  This silk is textured, but these throws are so soft, and they go nicely with our USA made throws...see we can live together peacefully (those who chided our new Miss America-shame!).  Women used to harvest the silk by rubbing the threads over their bare thighs.  But, with Fair Trade stepping in, foot pedal and power spinning machines are now part of their work days. 
In addition to my trying to buy new American made products, I now can look for Fair Trade.  At least it is produced by people who are treated fairly and kindly.  You know how I like to start and wrap my weekly essay with a quotation (yes, I am a quotation hoarder), well, imagine my surprise when I found this quote from a past President...

"Goods produced under conditions which do not meet a rudimentary standard to decency should be regarded as contraband and not allowed to pollute the channels of international commerce."
           ~Franklin Delano Roosevelt

No comments: