Sunday, May 18, 2014

"There are no bad pictures;

that's just how your face looks sometimes.”
― Abraham Lincoln
I was catching up on my reading and came across research that was published in Psychological Science that caught my attention.  The study discovered that "by taking a picture, instead of helping someone to remember an event, it might just cause memory loss".  It was based on having individuals take photos of a museum visit, and it revealed that "objects seen during a museum tour were less likely to remember facts than people who have only gazed at the items."

I wonder if all of the instagraming and pinteresting are doing a ctrl-alt-del to our brains.  I am still old-fashioned enough to love the actual photograph...not a computer image.  In fact, I have a Pinterest page for the shop, but I just cannot bring myself to pay much attention to it.  In fact, as the days go by, I am getting a tad bored with "pixel photos" as I am going to call them.  I look at photos that I gather in my travels...or check this one out that one of my "picker sisters" brought me.  It is a metal frame, and I can just imagine the tales behind this woman.  Now, if I saw it on Pinterest, it would be neat, but it would be fleeting.  The reality of a photo in a frame puts that person in constant contact.

Even though "scrapbooking" is around...and seems to be falling out of vogue...what will folks 100 years from now have to look at?  Point and clicks?  What will your grandchildren have?  Technology evolves, but paper involves. 
I guess the imaginative spirit in me wonders about the people on the paper.  I do consider the folks of the screen, but not as much I realized as I do about the photo finds.  Who is she?  Where did she live?  What kind of life did she have? 
Maybe the point and clicks reveal too much, and so we really don't need to think or imagine about them. 
So, as the summer vacation days are upon us, why not take some of the I-photos and print them out.  As Dorothea Lange, an influential American documentary photographer and photojournalist, best known for her Depression-era work, perhaps one of the most famous shown below, wrote...
             “Photography takes an instant out of time, altering life by holding it still. ”

1 comment:

The Cinnamon Stick said...

You have a thought process that requires one to "think" and for that I am grateful we are friends...XO