Sunday, July 20, 2014

"Art is the overflow of emotion

into action.”   ~ Brian Raif 

The advantage of the small independent shop is that you get to know your customers beyond the shop and bag routine, and, in talking to one of my "regulars", I found out that she took her art into action. Traci Dunham writes children's books, and she took the initiative to find a publisher...and, as the saying goes, the rest is history!
In this computer world where people connect via texts, tweets, and pins, it is wonderful to meet someone who still believes in words on paper and illustrators who can turn those words into wonderful scenes.
The book is available online at http://www.amazon.com and at Barnes and Noble also.  The book can be found at the Whale's Tale in Cape May and the Cape Atlantic Book Company in the Cape May Mall.   She does her own marketing since she is self-published and has no agent out there promoting her.  So, if you are from the area, Traci will be signing books this Thursday, July 24 at 10:30, in the Haddonfield Library.  She will be at Rhinoceros Gamery, Activity Center, and Toy Store in Haddonfield on August 7, and on October 11 at the Collingswood Book Festival

In an interview with TURNING STONEchoice (Article here), Traci says, "I wanted to let children know that their self-worth comes from what is on the inside.  It doesn’t matter what you look like or what you do.  Beauty comes from the inside out.  Raising a daughter that is handicapped has shown me that every person has value and a purpose. I love books that have a message and too many children’s books today do not.  With so many children being bullied, I want every child to know that even though they are different it is ok."

Her next book is Lu Lu and Me, "a story of two sisters, one who is handicapped.  It is written from the point of view of the sister who is not handicapped. She talks about their differences and let’s everyone know that even though her sister is different it is ok."

I am so glad that Traci shared her talent with me.  I always love the story behind the "stuff" in my shop, but, even more rewarding, is the story behind the people who are in my shop...and as her main character Mr. Oyster says..."the beauty I have lies inside me."

No comments: