Friday, March 18, 2016

"If we had no winter

the spring would not be so pleasant: if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome. ~Josh Billings
And, it is spring...and I am into some serious spring cleaning.  There is something to be said about seeing the daffodils come back from what appears nowhere!  It rejuvenates me.  In my attempt to clean and deal with my adversity...an abundance of stuff...I am selling off surplus inventory.  It did get me thinking about having sales though.  I have not gone the "sale" routine in my 25 years...I just priced things and let the price talk, but it seems that we consumers need to see SALE or BOGO to buy.

Ironically, most vintage/antique/flea folks simply mark up to mark down.  From the business perspective, the initial pricing of a product is an important step in merchandising. The Keystone Method doubles cost of an individual product to arrive at its selling price (2 x total product cost ). The Dollar Markup Method takes into account the total amount of operating expenses and desired profit.  Now, many people think that those in the resale world make big money, but, in most cases, it is not easy...the buyers at Home Goods or Macy's can thumb through catalogs or trade shows.  The flea market buying requires patience, persistence, and perfection.
In reading up on retail sales, it seems we shoppers go for offers that are worse because we don't do well at math (wait until the next generation comes along! yikes!).  Plus, we love seeing Free...like BOGO.  According to research, it seems as if the psychology power of free may also make us worse at math. In another marketing experiment involving hand lotion in an actual store, researchers sold 73% more when it came in a bonus pack than when it was priced at a discount with the same exact unit price.  The Brits are not fond of the buy one, get one in supermarkets because they think it contributes to waste and is offered on unhealthy products. 

But, I am doing a sale...minimum will be 25% off in honor of our 25 years...and maybe more...I want to refresh and renew...so this is my year to do that...you can email me...I will be around weekends, but,  I can work around my teaching schedule if you contact me.  I need to clean out and move on!
                     Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm.
                                                                    – Winston Churchill

No comments: