Saturday, June 4, 2016

"Some changes look negative on the surface

but you will soon realize that space is being created in your life for something new to emerge.”   
                                                  ~Eckhart Tolle

My shop is in serious disarray...more than usual...as I purge, prop and prep for different merchandise and new ideas.  I sell Jeanne d'Arc, a beautiful magazine that I get imported monthly from Denmark.  This has really taken me to a new level of merchandising in the shop, and it has given me a new outlook on retail.  Like the magazine...it is quality, printed like a book not a typical magazine, and it is a hands on Pinterest...you can get lost in the photos...and there are also recipes.  But it is not $2.99... 



It is usually $12 since the euro impacts the price at which I offer it with a small discount.  Still this is something that I want to talk about-- pricing...

If you read any of the business news, you have read the doom and gloom about brick and mortar retailers, and the shuttering of shopping malls.  “But retail has always been about evolution. Someone is always bemoaning the change in the market and how it’s impacting things.”   This is a quote from a shopping center CEO at the International Council of Shopping Centers annual convention, which is being held in Las Vegas this week (ever notice how many conventions end up in Las Vegas?)

I think what has happened is that people decided everything needed to be dollar store prices or Walmart style.  What about quality?  And, I am back at made in the USA refrain.  These pillows are handmade in the USA and are designed for specific areas.  You can find Sea Isle, Ocean City, and Wildwood at Captain Scrap's Attic up Route 9 from my shop...

Now, they are good for inside or outside also.  So, think about quality...and made in USA...no, they are not discount, but you are supporting not only the manufacturer but also a local shop!  The same company also makes signs from barrels...
Add in signs on recycled tin, and you have some really unique shore decorative pieces...not Walmart prices, but, again, you are not supporting the 10 cents an hour Chinese workers.
I have Cheryl from Relish Design, another local entrepreneur, doing some painting for me.  She did these two pieces...again...we are recycling and reworking so that it is real wood not glued sawdust, and your purchase supports local!  Actually the bottom table sold today!
So, as I rework the shop, I am trying to think local, American made, recycled, repurposed, or, if I do bring in some items from overseas, to deal in Fair Trade.  Remember, American made may cost more, but think of those who benefit...not an unknown corporate billionaire.  That applies also as the farmers' markets open!  I am trying to bring joy...not only for you when you walk in the door, but also for me as I head into year 26 in this ever changing retail world.

                                                                 Enjoy the day...
“You can't stop the future
You can't rewind the past
The only way to learn the secret
...is to press play.”
                                                                        ~Jay Asher




No comments: