Sunday, September 11, 2016

"Education is not the filling of a pail,

but the lighting of a fire.
~William Butler Yeats

This past week there were many photos on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter of students heading off to school.  For example, one of my students has a photography business...No Filter Photography...I featured her in May...but she did some personal photos of her daughters as they faced their first day...and even managed to get the high schooler to pose!  (Her business link is here in case you are local and are interested! )


As a long time English teacher...actually 47 years!...deep breath...that was the first time I have done the math...anyway, I always buy old textbooks for the shop and for me to peruse before I sell them. Many times the books have wonderful covers...
I happened to sit down with the book shown below because of the cover, and I do teach college composition and literature. so I am always fascinated by any language books.
Here is the date at the end of this preface...1891!  125 years ago, and, yes, much can change in a century, but you only have to look at the examples from this book to get a sense of a world long gone!
 I love the work pages...


And, of course, the illustrations in these old books are wonderful...

So much of what is there is charming but outdated, and now for an example of something that will soon be unknown...the infamous cursive writing...

Next time you see an old school book, think of how much has changed...but there is still that excitement of the first day no matter how many centuries have passed!
 It is the supreme art of the teacher to awaken joy in creative expression and knowledge. 
~Albert Einstein

No comments: