Saturday, June 3, 2017

"All that is gold does not glitter,


Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.
~J.R.R. Tolkien


The idea that all that glitters is not gold is actually appropriate for the current antique market because the market has changed so drastically, but I am identifying with the second line of this poem from Lord of the Rings..."Not all those who wander are lost..."   I am getting back into the shop and working on my displays.

I actually got some inspiration from Catherine, my sea glass jewelry artisan.  She showed me a new "Happy Camper" line of bracelets and necklaces she was now creating...and there was my light...camping...journeys...travel.  
Even though I am not going anywhere as far as packing a bag goes, I am on a personal journey as far as my business is concerned. I do have the advantage of walking this beach every morning though as I walk, I think  "What to do?  Where to go with the themes?" 

Well, I have it...as the poem states..."the old that is strong does not wither".
So, I am going with those good old treasures that will not wither! And we are on a journey!
And bringing in new treasures to light new fires...journals to record not selfies but selfie words...words that can be read and not fall victim to tech despair. 



I know I am not alone in working through the new retail world.  Every week stories are posted about the topic.  I do think a touch of antique/vintage does help to calm the made in China stuff as it were!  Granted not everything can be made in the USA, but even vintage vases can accent the modern Chinese china!
My journey will be to highlight how the old can be new again and find a place in the 21st century instead of languishing on a shelf or, even worse, tossed into a landfill.  How many collections are packed up in attics, basements, and garages?  Worse yet, how much of that stuff was bought because it was going to be worth big money?  Let's use "stuff"!  Join me as I repurpose! Even like this Mona B bag made from recycled tents or canvas.
 
“Some beautiful paths can't be discovered without getting lost.” 
 ~Erol Ozan
  

No comments: